M1 Glider Infantry Helmet Opinions

amberg1853

I have the chance to buy this helmet, pictures were provided by the seller and are all I have. Any chance to research the serial number and were this decals used after the war in the 1950's? Thanks in advance for your help, I am having trouble loading the last picture, F. Schulze 12306952 is written on the interior rim. Looks to be swivel bail. Brian

post-66501-0-36839900-1575591233_thumb.jpeg

post-66501-0-23845300-1575591293_thumb.jpeg

Great thanks for the input, admittedly my knowledge on these applied insignia is pretty low. Were decals used at all during WW2, they seem to be mostly post war from what I have read. Chinstrap looks khaki in the pic I can't post. Almost looks like it has been polished...

Thanks for the links! The seller said there is another helmet as well, may try and swing by this weekend and see what they are like in person. Any chance to research the fella and his serial number?

Brian Dentino

I have the chance to buy this helmet, pictures were provided by the seller and are all I have. Any chance to research the serial number and were this decals used after the war in the 1950's? Thanks in advance for your help, I am having trouble loading the last picture, F. Schulze 12306952 is written on the interior rim. Looks to be swivel bail. Brian

With that ASN being a fairly low # I would have thought he may have served in WWII and stayed on, but no hits when I ran it on the electronic enlisted records page?

Just for your own reference amberg, a decal like this as seen on these helmets will not indicate a Glider Infantry Helmet, it's simply a decal worn by select paratrooper units in the 50s, the decal depicting the now standard garrison cap patch worn by them.

lou-drendel-uniform.jpg?w=466&h=894C050875thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the replies, if I get it in hand I will post some updates. Just curious, where do you access the electronic enlisted records?

• 4 weeks later...

So after ignoring this helmet for almost a year and half because I really did not know much about the decals and had not had it in hand I finally made arraingements to meet the seller. Bought it and a front seam fixed bail shell. Turns out this one was a front seam M1c with nice glider airborne decals on each side. Oops! Good thing he was not in a hurry to sell.

post-66501-0-50625600-1579013219_thumb.jpg

Must have been Schulze's helmet for a while, it is named twice to him. Once under the repaint and then again in the white lettering.

That is a cool helmet!

The decal almost looks like he Japanese version of the para/glider patch with the plane with the more rounded nose. I would check 11th A/B rosters.