Opinions on Shipboard Corpsman Helmet

Nickman983

Just got this one in the mail and figured it wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion on it. Saw it before the listing ended and liked it enough to give it a shot. Now that I have it in hand I like it for the most part but there are a few areas I'm a little unsure of.

There seems to be many layers of paint close to the rim of the helmet but getting closer to the crown it seems like there is only one. I know helmets in the navy got repainted often but is this common or would typically all of the paint be stripped

The other thing I noticed is there is a spot or two where pencil markings for the outline of the crosses are on top of either older layers of paint or bare metal.

Also, I believe this is a low dome helmet. Given this fact, any ideas on when this would have been used?

Looking forward to hearing others thoughts on this one.

post-169952-0-05555400-1575587796.jpg

post-169952-0-37233000-1575587824.jpg

This helmet could have been used from WW2, into the 1990s.

Thanks for the info sigsaye. Based on this info and the fact that it's a low dome helmet I would think that narrows the range down to from the 60's into the 90's

Shes not the prettiest girl at the dance thats for sure!.....??.....mike

That's for sure, but she's got character! I've got it displayed next to my salty shore party helmet at the moment.

In any case, am I over thinking this one a bit? I think the paint looks pretty good under the loupe but the pencil markings in a few areas are the main thing that gave me pause when I inspected it in more detail.

post-169952-0-56873900-1575645719_thumb.jpg

I have a few 1950s era 11AB helmets that still have pencil guide markings visible so that wouldnt bother me??.....mike

I should have clarified, my concern isn't with the pencil markings on the white paint, but that there's at least two areas I can see where the pencil markings start on the white and then go over older green paint/bare metal.

USMC-RECON0321

I would have to agree, the pencil markings and red paint were obviously applied well after all the chipping in the layers of paint.

I would have to agree, the pencil markings and red paint were obviously applied well after all the chipping in the layers of paint.

Thanks for the input. That's what I thought after closer inspection but I wanted to hear a second opinion. Looks like I'm 0-2 on these medical marked helmets. Fortunately the seller and I were in agreement and I'm able to return it this time around.