M3 handle repair

hawkdriver

I had posted some time back about fixing a M3 that was missing one whole ring set. Fortunately, the missing piece was under the scabbard strap. I didn't know if I wante to try fixing or leaving it. I decided that leaving it was going to only cause more damage in the long run and to go ahead and try fixing it. In October, I took the knife into a leather repair shop, I kept checking in, but nothing was getting done because of more priority work. Today, I finally went in to get a final answer. The guy didn't know how to get the groove cut and promised another week and he would have it done. I decided that I wasn't going to wait any longer and took the knife, he had the leather washers on, but not cut properly. When I got home, I took the pommel off and got to work. The area that is off in this picture is the amount that was damaged previously.

5zfzfm.jpg

After about half an hour work, a lot of dremmel induced leather dust, this is the final product. I'm still not overly happy, but it's a start. What say ye all.

fz0zyw.jpg

I had posted some time back about fixing a M3 that was missing one whole ring set. Fortunately, the missing piece was under the scabbard strap. I didn't know if I wante to try fixing or leaving it. I decided that leaving it was going to only cause more damage in the long run and to go ahead and try fixing it. In October, I took the knife into a leather repair shop, I kept checking in, but nothing was getting done because of more priority work. Today, I finally went in to get a final answer. The guy didn't know how to get the groove cut and promised another week and he would have it done. I decided that I wasn't going to wait any longer and took the knife, he had the leather washers on, but not cut properly. When I got home, I took the pommel off and got to work. The area that is off in this picture is the amount that was damaged previously.

5zfzfm.jpg

After about half an hour work, a lot of dremmel induced leather dust, this is the final product. I'm still not overly happy, but it's a start. What say ye all.

fz0zyw.jpg

Well, I think it looks good. A huge improvement over a missing ring set IMHO. ;)

I think it looks good , I would just pack in some polish and get it to gloss up like the originals and it will look good.

I was hoping the oil would do that, but I will give that a try.

Would some high-grit sandpaper help to smooth the "new" washers before trying to polish/re-oil? I'm thinking 600 grit or so, given the comparative roughness of a Dremel...

Neat restoration project, and thanks for sharing with us. Where did the replacement washers come from?

Thrasher

The guy that was doing the work cut them and cut the slot for the tang. He didn't cut the grooves or shape them, they just went straight back to the pommel, I took them off and cut the inset rings and then dremmel'd them down.

Looks GREAT! I had a similar M3 and I did the same repair on it.

003sa9.jpg

004fo6.jpg

This was about 5 years ago. I dont even remember what I did with it.