Fantasy M7 or real

mdk0911

The blade runout is radiused such that it suggests that the Imperial is from Post Vietnam time frame. It maybe a little tough to say if the casting is from the original manufacture or someone who duplicated them.

These handles were produced for the commercial market, and are still for sale as I type. Check out ebay, you will see them on MK2s, M7s, and M4s. Prices for these w/ knife or bayonet run in the $110-$125 area. SKIP

I bought my grip with the D-guard on ebay for $38 and just changed out the grip on a Vietnam M7. Looks and feels neat, but not worth more than a basic M7 plus the $40 for the grip (which is just the left-hand one, the right is an original grip).

Hi Folks,

I bought one the these grips about a year ago from John Gibson who bought them from the source. I bought the grip "in the white". byf41 is correct about the markings. Here's John's story, it's from his website where he still has a few left.

M7 Knuckle Knife---Mint----A little history: These cast aluminum knuckle handles were made by John T. Graham of Ft. Wright, Kentucky. I first saw one of these at a Military Show in northern Kentucky in the mid 80's, so they were obviously made prior to that. My best guess is mid 70's because I think he was trying to get a Government contract for them. He passed in 1988, so that info is lost. In 2009 I just happened to run across his son at a show in Louisville. The son was selling his Dad's military items, which had been in the basement since he passed, and included quite a few of the knucks. Some of the knucks were painted black and some were in the raw. They all had the correct markings on the back. They are marked 1 thru 8 and the letter "A". Unfortunately the son had no knowledge of their history. I bought all he had and he promised to sell me the ones that were still in the basement. Fast forward to about 2011.........the son came through and I bought the remaining stock.

I have seen reproductions on ebay, but they have a groove around the perimeter of the handle.

Marv

post-26996-0-06823200-1575600740_thumb.jpg

Here's a pic of the inside with markings. The picture shows two grips. BTW I just went to the site for John Gibson and all indications are that he still has a few left.

Marv

post-26996-0-54487700-1575628388_thumb.jpg

We have to be cognoscente of our terminology. None of these grips are "real" in the sense that they were Army issue or experimental, or anything other than an enterprising attempt to gain a military contract. They never reached the stage of experimental. I know of no such documentation that would suggest that these grips were used in any military trials. So the ones we are calling real, are simply a known example that was likely marketed to the military. (keep in mind that I love being proven wrong, that's how we gain new and better information)

The ones we are calling reproductions, are probably knock-offs of the original knuckle grips. Very little is actually known, but I think the grip pictured below is one of those knock-offs.

Marv

post-26996-0-81867700-1575688050_thumb.jpg

post-26996-0-16309900-1575688063.jpg

I know of documentation that would suggest that these grips were used in any military trials.

Marv

CORRECTION! I KNOW OF NO SUCH DOCUMENTATION.

MARV

We have to be cognoscente of our terminology.

COGNOSCENTE!!???

I relied on the first spell check word that came up. Plus I was drugged after a medical procedure. :unsure:

Sorry about that!

Marv

Cognizant: having knowledge of, being aware of....

• 1 year later...

The ebay listing says this: "The grip is aluminum and reproduced from the original plastic prototype from Nam era as well." 

If you compare the grip design with the original post above, you can see the difference.   

I read in Cole's book III that the grips were originally plastic. However, when I questioned John Gibson about it, he politely suggested that Mr. Cole was in error.

Here's what John Gibson said on his website:

"M7 Knuckle knife...A little history: These cast aluminum knuckle handles were made by John T. Graham of Ft. Wright, Kentucky. I first saw one of these at a Military Show in northern Kentucky in the mid 80's, so they were obviously made prior to that. My best guess is mid 70's because I think he was trying to get a Government contract for them. He passed in 1988, so that info is lost. In 2009 I just happened to run across his son at a show in Louisville. The son was selling his Dad's military items, which had been in the basement since he passed, and included quite a few of the knucks. Some of the knucks were painted black and some were in the raw. They all had the correct markings on the back. They are marked 1 thru 8 and the letter "A". Unfortunately the son had no knowledge of their history. I bought all he had and he promised to sell me the ones that were still in the basement. Fast forward to about 2011.........the son came through and I bought the remaining stock.

John Gibson"

I spoke to the seller.

He said he is making these as "reproductions" and states that in the description.

Very polite and seems like a nice person.