Fedayeen Helmet trench art

scottiques

This is a Fedayeen Helmet that was captured in Hilla Iraq in the early part of Operation Iraqi Freedom.

post-124583-0-88233200-1575396492.jpg post-124583-0-80756900-1575396482.jpg

It was painted by an out of work Saddam Hussein mural painter in the city of Sinjar(West of Mosul, near the Syrian border). The same painter was commissioned to paint a large historical mural in the Sinjar Post Office.

The map design documents the 2-187 Infantry during the war and includes historical patches and sayings from the unit, which was part of the 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault).

Scott

Now that is one of a kind

I actually had two of them made. Other is just on a standard Iraqi army helmet-- wish I had more of the Fedayeen helmets.

Thanks to all for the kind comments.

Scott

That's a great helmet! Thanks for sharing!

Is it possible to see the front and wearers left side, or are there things on those sides that are too personal to share?

That's a great helmet! Thanks for sharing!

Is it possible to see the front and wearers left side, or are there things on those sides that are too personal to share?

Thanks.

The OIF ribbon is along the front of the helmet.

I will add the back and left side as well as some interior views. May take me until later tomorrow to do the additional photos.

Scott

Thanks.

The OIF ribbon is along the front of the helmet.

I will add the back and left side as well as some interior views. May take me until later tomorrow to do the additional photos.

Scott

Thanks, Scott. I did mean the back...Look forward to seeing the rest of the helmet!

I am a serious trench art collector and have been for the last 30 years.

When I deployed for OIF, I used the WW1 helmet on the cover of Jane Kimball's book as the model for the helmet:

post-124583-0-30399600-1575424343.jpg

When the artist returned the helmets, I wasn't a big fan of the white blocks to set off the patches on the helmet, but overall I was very happy with his work.

Scott