FS SB McCord, Firestone Liner help

36thIDAlex

Hey everyone, I picked this one up from the TMCA show in Franklin last week. I was just looking for something not too expensive to throw on a mannequin and thought it fit the bill. I’ll have to find an original chinstrap for the liner but the rest seems good, the liner itself was pretty stuck inside so I have no doubt it’s original to the lid.

Unfortunately I forgot to take pictures of the liner but it’s painted a light gray, I imagine for parade or postwar use. I was wondering if anyone knew what the heat stamp 978A would date this to, I also couldn’t see the McCord or Schlueter markings but I presumed with this stamp it was McCord.

Best,

Alex

It also seems to have a laundry number and the name “HAAS” written inside, however, the laundry number seems to be D or P -7413 so I’ll have to try and work that out.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

It fits the display pretty well.

Posted Image

Cool Helmet. Nice display!

Couple of questions for you. Can you Pull out the liner and post a pic of the seam on the underside? You can tell its a McCord

if the crimps are oval.If they are circles... Its a Schlueter.

Also... From your picture of the underside... It loks like a liner thats been stripped with another liner wedged inside it?

It looks like 2 liners.? Is that what Im seeing? Thats prob why its hard to get in and out.

Whats wrong with the liner chin strap? Is it a repro?

Sure looks like 2 liners???

Cool Helmet. Nice display!

Couple of questions for you. Can you Pull out the liner and post a pic of the seam on the underside?  You can tell its a McCord

if the crimps are oval.If they are circles... Its a Schlueter.

Also... From your picture of the underside... It loks like a liner thats been stripped with another liner wedged inside it?

It looks like 2 liners.? Is that what Im seeing? Thats prob why its hard to get in and out.

Whats wrong with the liner chin strap? Is it a repro?

Sure looks like 2 liners???

I believe the strap is a repro, yes, and I’m pretty certain it’s just the one liner. I’m not home but had a family member take a photo. Also, I’m guessing that this photo means it’s a McCord? Not sure what the paint is on the liner as well.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Definitely McCord and definitely just one liner. I think what Rooster may be seeing is the thick "rim" left behind when this liner was molded. Some liners have a very prominent "rim" like this one does while others have no rim. I just checked my liners and I've got a mixture.

As for the date, I believe 978 would be mid to late 1944.