Interesting Model 1902 Uniform Jacket

trenchbuff

Got this jacket locally and it's a bit of a mystery to me. Looks to be a standard model 1902 dress jacket but with some interesting features. Its piped in infantry blue with QM corporal chevrons and service stripes for two enlistments; one in the artillery and one in the quartermaster corps. This one looks to have seen use after WW1 as it has a 3rd Division patch, rimmed gilt eagle buttons. Also has green with red bordered shoulder tab ribbons that I've seen before but have no idea what they mean. Can anyone help provide any information? Any help explaining when a uniform like this would been worn and what the shoulder tab ribbons mean would be appreciated. Also, the collar looks to have had collar disks at one time, two on each side? I know this was done around 1907 for the khaki uniform, but never seen it on dress uniforms. Again, any help explaining this would be great! Thanks!

post-944-0-26557900-1575305122.jpg

The shoulder loop insignia are the Distinctive Unit Trimmings for the 4th Infantry Regiment.

Looks like the 1st Battalion of the 3rd Infantry was stationed at Fort Missoula, MT from 1921 to 1941. Guess that would explain how it ended up in Montana. Still wondering what kind of collar insignia it would have had?

Looks like it probably had crossed rifles on the collar. Man that is a cool uniform cant say Ive ever seen one with an infantry division SSI

It is very cool indeed, something you don't see much of. Is there a date inside....?

There was a short time (6-12 months?) in or around 1926 that the Army wore both the usual collar brass along with Regimental DUIs on the same lapel, when the open-collar coats came into being.. at least I've seen it on those.

It is very cool indeed, something you don't see much of. Is there a date inside....?

There was a short time (6-12 months?) in or around 1926 that the Army wore both the usual collar brass along with Regimental DUIs on the same lapel, when the open-collar coats came into being.. at least I've seen it on those.

No dates or marks of any kind. I have a family name that I plan to research. Makes more sense that it would have collar disks and dui's rather than double collar disks for that period. Thanks for the info!

I am not up on 1902 uniforms, but I do have some comments. In the mid-nineteenth century, service stripes were in the branch color for peacetime service and edged in red for wartime service. Might this uniform be trimmed with a white infantry stripe and a red wartime stripe? Perhaps for World War One?

Those slip on ribbons are the DUI for the 4th Infantry Regiment. Several units adopted Distinctive Unit Trimming when the Army directed regiments to come up with distinctive insignia in lieu of metal badges. Some were the 2nd Infantry (a single blue patch with crossed red arrows worn on one sleeve), 3rd Infantry (a buff and black leather shoulder strap, and the 4th Infantry's shoulder loop slides. Both the 2nd and 3rd Infantry later adopted metal DUIs (the 3rd wears both insignia).