Need list of med contents in 1970's dated 1st aid kit, individual

military gear geek

military gear geek

Hello, I did a search on this topic & I really couldn't come up with an answer... I've been recently putting together acouple of 1970's (1974) dated individual 1st aid kits & I was wondering if anyone can give me either a list of what contents may be in one??? The one I'm referring to, are the ones that has the plastic insert down inside a nylon pouch with metal slide keepers on the back.. I have some of the dated period contents but, I don't know if it's complete or not??? Thank you for any replies you may have..

Sorry. I had some switchology issues.

What I meant to say is that these kits came with a paper list of contents that included NSNs.

If I remember correctly they contained bandaids, chapstick, field dressing, water purification tables, an OD green trianagular bandage with safety pins, a special eye injury dressing and two or three empty plastic pill bottles. Although we seldom got them with all contents complete.

The OD triangular bandage was a popular item. Marines would repurpose them as bandanas or scarves in hot weather. Consequently it was often missing.

There are photos and discussions of these kits on this forum.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

military gear geek

Thank you for the reply!!!! I'll try doing a search again & see what I come up with... I do have another question... I have a 1st aid battle dressing that's in brown paper wrap, slides into a cardboard sleeve with a packet of sodium bicarbonate tablets in it.. Is it possible that may of been used that late in Vietnam? Most of the dressings I came across were clear wrapped plastic in cardboard box or ones in green plastic wrap contract dated the early 70's... Just asking.. Thanks again for the reply!!

Although I understand you are looking for contents list used with the later nylon Case Medical Instrument and Supply Set No 8 (NSN: 6546-01-094-6142) Used in conjunction with the plastic insert, I do have some photos of contents and packing lists for Vietnam Era First Aid Kit, Individual (FSN: 6545-823-8165) that may be of interest in showing the progression of Individual First Aid Kit contents in that era. I don't have any packing lists for the Case No 8 based Individual First Aid Kit on hand unfortunately.

Note that both of these kits are assembled by different depots using 1944-45 contract jungle first aid kit pouches. In the case of the Defense Depot Tracy kit the WWII pouch has had the new FSN (6545-912-0625) stenciled on the lid.

post-2980-0-58699200-1575235245_thumb.jpg

Another kit from the Tracy Depot. Note the plastic wrapped Dressings, First Aid, Field, Individual Troop, Camouflaged, 4 x 7 Inches FSN 6510-201-7455 and separate packet of Sodium Bicarbonate Mix. I don't have any documentation for when the transition from waxed carton to plastic occurred but would think it would be well before 1970.

post-2980-0-71105400-1575235840_thumb.jpg post-2980-0-76840100-1575235861.jpg

Just a correction that both of the above kits and contents lists are from Defense Depot Tracy in California but assembled by different packers with the first kit (missing some contents) showing the handwritten addition of salt tablets to the list. Unfortunately they are not dated but would be sometime between 1963 (Zip codes introduced) and 1974 (FSN replaced by NSN).

military gear geek

That is great!!!! Thank you for the reply!!! I was gonna try to explain out what I'm trying to put together here but, I think I'll wait til after the other first aid kit shows up & snap some pics on everything I have & go from there... I'm a collector & for some reason, I got this idea to try to collect some early 70's dated first aid kits. I was planning on doing just one, but I found a seller online who was selling a 73 contract dated insert with 73 dated med supplies in it that I couldn't pass up.. I also have another 74 dated pouch on the way as well.. It's too hard to explain & I'll get pics out in about a week.. Thanks again for the lists... At least it'll give me something to go with..

military gear geek

I thank you all very much for all the information & pics of your 1st aid kits!!! I really appreciate it!!! I should be getting my other insert in about a day or two??? And I also bought a few more vietnam era battle dressings this morning, not only to help fill up my kits, but to gave acouple for my m-56 first aid/compass pouches... I got the pouch the other day & I must say, it has seen some use somewhere!! The nylon fabric is alittle crusty, kinda dry, has worn spots but that's ok cause, to me these are collector pieces... When I get the other insert, I'll lay everything out, take/post pics & go from there..

military gear geek

Ok.. Here are my (2) 1st aid kits. Both pouches are dated 74. The one insert is dated 74, the other one is dated 73. As you can see in the 1st pic, the one on the left I just got today. It has the most correct dated stuff. Field dressings dated 72, muslin bandage dated 73, water purification tablets dated 73??? & bottle of iodine is dated 73.. Chap stick, HOT climate doesn't have a date on it but does match the one in the picture.. I only have 1 pill bottle & only 2 pks of bandaids & not 3.. Sodium bicarbonate is dated 1965.. This kit seems to be filled the most.. Missing some stuff but that understandable.. The kit on the left isn't complete. The water purification tablets & iodine are dated early 80's & it's missing a few bandages.. I have a few more bandages on the way.. The bandages in between the kits, I got them years ago & just kept them around.. They should fit nicely in that one box.. Like I said, they aren't complete, but really cool to have!!!

military gear geek

Well, I can't seem to upload my pics!! Too big & I got them shrunk down as low as possible!! May have to transfer my pics to desktop computer & try again tomorrow.. Sorry!!! Can't seem to get them shrunk using a smartphone..

military gear geek

Ok.. Lets try this again.. Had to email the pics to myself & download them onto desktop comp to resize... Some are alittle fuzzy as well???

Anyways, The 1st pic is of both first aid kits & muslin bandages with (3) rolled 2in x 6yds. I found the muslin bandages in goodwill for .79cents each!! Inserts are contract dated 74 & inserts are contract dated 73 & 74...

post-1684-0-32305100-1575747939_thumb.jpg

military gear geek

Pic 2 is upclose of kit on left side.. Most of everything is dated 73/74.. Except sodium bicarbonate is dated 1965..This kit seems to have most of it's contents.. Still missing a few items.. How they manage to get 3 pill bottles down in this little thing with all the bandages is beyond me!!!!

post-1684-0-53004700-1575748210.jpg

military gear geek

Pic 3. Kit is the one on the right.. Missing some items.. I have a few more bandages on the way & I can ad a couple of other bandages to it.. Iodine & water purfication tablets are dated in the early 80's... Not all there but still, not too bad either..

post-1684-0-82151600-1575748444.jpg

military gear geek

Pic number 4 is upcloase pic of the bandages I had laying around in a bag.....

Muslin bandages I don't know how old they are??? Gotta be before Vietnam Era to be in cardboard boxes???? The other bandages are contract dated 73...

post-1684-0-49520900-1575748645.jpg

military gear geek

Pic # 5 is of everything in (left side kit) inside insert.. Like I said, How does one manage to get 3 pill bottles down in this little plastic box?!?!

post-1684-0-78744800-1575748765.jpg

military gear geek

Last picture... 1st aid kits all together & closed up.. I was planning on only getting one first aid kit, but after I found another one online with the corect dated bandages & only the insert & the pouch elsewhere, I decided to get them..

post-1684-0-21022400-1575748919_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...
Gary Ziegler
On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 7:53 PM, military gear geek said:

Hello, I did a search on this topic & I really couldn't come up with an answer... I've been recently putting together acouple of 1970's (1974) dated individual 1st aid kits & I was wondering if anyone can give me either a list of what contents may be in one??? The one I'm referring to, are the ones that has the plastic insert down inside a nylon pouch with metal slide keepers on the back.. I have some of the dated period contents but, I don't know if it's complete or not??? Thank you for any replies you may have..

Hi, 
I can provide you with a list of components based on a component list dated 1 March 1970. A complete and correct 1970 dated kit is one of the most rare medical kits that you can find. Contact me via PM and I will assist.

• 1 year later...
Chimera Prime

If you still need this info here is the content list from my near complete 1970 contract IFAK. 20220505_232218.jpg.7d947962562a76072a8f54d013d45d03.jpg20220505_232220.jpg.353cb10541980f3fc04b524478e0e0a3.jpg

• 1 month later...
military gear geek

Lol.. I forgot all about this post.. Haven't been here in awhile!!! Thank You for your help!!!! I know I don't have everything, but I have come across acouple of 70 dated field dressings & 2 clear pill bottles with white caps... I'll have to redo this all over.. Lol..

• 2 months later...

Found three of the shorter IFAK containers, labeled and with some standard and some unusual contents.. 

I am not sure but the the contents seem like they could be earlier than 67.  Except for the soap no doubt it is from 67

the bottles have contents, a few full

8D55B8A6-2DC1-415E-BD6B-4CFD72021BC3.jpeg

A6AA6187-32F1-4F91-85AE-BCB1FF6F732C.jpeg

4078C02B-1681-4817-A0BD-ADD2754D5ECE.jpeg

E7157F4A-FD65-4530-B5C8-B3466FBC24B8.jpeg

28EEC617-E4CB-4D97-AF6B-C42A6A8B4C4C.jpeg

430E8F03-EB95-447F-862D-6D1D324B6DC1.jpeg