USS Nimitz patch

Siamundo

I thought this was an interesting Nimitz patch in that the ship's designation is CVAN. The Nimitz was commissioned in May 1975 as CVAN 68 and less than 2 months later in June 1975 she was re-designated as CVN 68 so the CVAN only lasted for a very brief period of time.

post-2744-0-56762800-1575160424_thumb.jpg

collectsmedals

That is really great! I have never seen a Nimitz patch with CVAN on it. I served on Nimitz from 1979 to 1983 and the foul weather jacket I was issued was stenciled CVAN 68 on the back.

post-294-0-67130600-1575250182_thumb.jpg

post-294-0-59050900-1575250203_thumb.jpg

That's a neat jacket, thanks for sharing. I can only speculate, so just guessing that when the Nimitz (probably like any other ship) was in the process of being commissioned, items like insignia, letterhead-stationary, patches, jackets and anything else with a ships' logo were pre-ordered in bulk never guessing the designation would change almost immediately so they would use up those existing stocks before ordering new updated material.

Salvage Sailor

I thought this was an interesting Nimitz patch in that the ship's designation is CVAN. The Nimitz was commissioned in May 1975 as CVAN 68 and less than 2 months later in June 1975 she was re-designated as CVN 68 so the CVAN only lasted for a very brief period of time.

That's a neat jacket, thanks for sharing. I can only speculate, so just guessing that when the Nimitz (probably like any other ship) was in the process of being commissioned, items like insignia, letterhead-stationary, patches, jackets and anything else with a ships' logo were pre-ordered in bulk never guessing the designation would change almost immediately so they would use up those existing stocks before ordering new updated material.

That's correct Sean,

That's the pre-commissioning CVAN patch made by Swiss Tex and I also have one around here somewhere. Here's the post 1975 redesignation CVN patch from Swiss Tex along with a used/dirty sample

CVN 68 USS NIMITZ Swiss Tex 002.jpg

CVN 68 USS NIMITZ Swiss Tex 003.jpg

Salvage Sailor

Another example of Swiss Tex redesignation patches circa 1974-1975

Nuclear cruiser USS CALIFORNIA (DLGN-36/CGN-36) Commissioned February 1974 and redesignated June 1975

CGN 36 DLGN 36 USS CALIFORNIA Swiss Tex 001.jpg

CGN 36 DLGN 36 USS CALIFORNIA Swiss Tex 004.jpg