R14/AN-H-1 receiver time frame

AZPhil

Hello Gent's,

So as far as flight helmets go, Lets say B-6, AN-H-15, AN-H-16 and the A11.

And you get one and its missing the receivers, What type/model receivers were installed on those flight helmets?

Semper Fi

Phil

to be correct for AAF flight helmets, you want the ANB-H-1..

The difference in the ANB-H-1 and the R-14s is the resistance as measured in ohms...I think I read 300 ohms in the ANB-H-1's and 2000 ohms in the R14...

That is what I'm trying to find out. The early one's. On my AN-H-15 and my A11 I have the ANB-H-1 type receivers , But I don't have a B-6 , But a freind of mine is getting one and it doesn't have any installed.

He had asked me about it and I wasn't sure if they all had ANB-H-1's or if the R14's were used.

So I thought you guy's would.

Does anybody have a B-6 and you could tell me which ones it has??

Thanks for the reply's!!

Semper Fi

Phil.

Hi Phil.

I have observed your question from a few months. I would like to advice you buy two simple (maybe not 100% correct at all) books:

https://www.amazon.com/Vintage-Flying-Helmets-Aviation-Headgear/dp/0887407765

https://www.amazon.com/Gear-Up-Clothing-Equipment-Schiffer/dp/0887407447/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=gear+up&qid=1575100810&sr=8-6

This books will gives you generally look/knowledge about stuff your are asking in a few days/weeks after study it. The best source of information is study a war time pics one by one and look into all details.

Good luck,

Jerry

Thanks Jerry,

I have Gear up., Is this answer to my question on this thread in there??? I didn't think it was But I will check now.

I also have Pinks bad Green. I have Allied flight gear saved to my Fav's.

I have been going through, I would say over a hundred pic's from the 384thBG website and also the 447th BG association website and also the 8th AF facebook page.I am not just being lazy and wanting you all to do my work for me. I am not that way!

I ask here because most of the Gent's here are seasoned collector's. I myself , may be I'm about at 8 years now. But just now getting into the intricacies of WW2 flight helmets. I have one AN-H-15 and One A11 . I have One A14 Oxygen mask, I have One set of googles and a couple Headset.. I don't have a massive collection.

I would say most of my question for this last month have been for my friend, who's Uncle was KIA as a USAAF B-17 Radio man. He is trying to put a display together. He is asking about Helmets I do not have .I know what I know , But I do not consider myself an expert. I think that some here are experts and I ask for advice and shared knowledge. My firend is also following this. He would chime in but the waiting period to be accepted to this site has been over a month now. All the post about Helmet O2 mask Combo's , Who wore what and when and this thread Were all questions he had that I didn't have a definitive answer to. So I posted his questions. It is normally very quite and I thought these were good question for someone staring out and some who are not there yet..

So I am asking to verify if what I told him is correct or If I am wrong you Gent's will set the answers straight.

If I should stop opening threads here Please tell me?

On the other side, Thank you for the recommendation of Vintage Flying Helmets. I'll have to look for that one.

Semper Fi

Phil

. I'll see if I can get it.

Semper Fi

Phil.

I'll add that I just checked in my Gear Up and yes it did have the answer to my question about the B-6, it has the ANB-H-1 in the pic's in there.

With this statement below the pic "B-6 helmets are seen with many variations of receiver arrangements".

Thanks Jerry. I'll pass that along to my Friend!

Semper Fi

Phil

Hi Phil.

Don't take me wrong, of course you can ask always when you want but I guess these two books brings you 65-75% answer on your basic question like in these case. Glad you got a answer in Gear Up book.

Of course these book is not perfect but with some knowledge based on some war time photos would be a great complement.

Im more the NAVY guy but the ANB-H-1 is the most popular receivers in AAF helmets during the war. R-14 is also correct but I guess more in a early war.

Good luck,

Jerry

Hello Jerry,

Thank you for the reply, I guess I did take you wrong. With this comment " I have observed your question for a few months" and me not seeing you post in any of my questions threads, I wondered why you were paying special attention to me and telling me to buy a Book.. I guess that is where I took it wrong.

I have been trying to help this guy out, Without telling him to buy a book. It's what I do, If I can help with what I have learned so far ( A lot from here), I share that knowledge. If he was going to start collecting these I would recommend the books. But he is not, He is like me, He is putting together a display to honor his Uncle. A very limited time frame in AAF flight gear history..

But this time it was about a timeframe and helmet/flight gear I do not have or studied. I'm going for the time frame my Uncle was shot down, April 13th 1944,

He had questions about earlier crews. Something I haven't given much time or attention.

So I came here to ask those who collect the entire span of the AAF during WW2 and then some in his behalf, since he can see it , He just can't post yet.

I didn't want my questions to become bothersome, But I wanted to get him the answers from what I consider the PRO's.

Semper Fi

Phil

There are many photos of USAAF used Type C helmets with R-14s in them. This was both in the MTO and ETO in 43-44. You can tell both by the length of the cord and the depth of the receiver in the ear cup as the ANB-H-1 was deeper and the R-14 thinner so it looks further in.

Here is a photo of an ETO Jug pilot with R-14s in his Type C. Note the black connector, the shorter cord and the cord handing off the receiver coming out of the ear cup. That's a usual sign of R-14s as well

post-68384-0-65408800-1575244347_thumb.jpg

Two more 1944 images of pilots with R-14s in their helmets. There is another image of one that shows he later traded in the R-14s for ANB-H-1s. Point being is the R-14s were being used but the USAAF folks too.

In photos look for the two screws you can on the receiver case as well. Not visible on ANB-H-1s

post-68384-0-64522100-1575245161_thumb.jpeg

post-68384-0-35337700-1575245173_thumb.jpg

All that being said, I would not think the R-14s were used in ANB-H-15 or A-11 helmets as they got there later. Best bet is to find photos of what you want to recreate and use that as your guide. There was so much mix and match and variety in the gear used that even within an individual crew you'd find different flight suits, helmets, goggles, boots, jackets etc. If you want to use R-14s I'd point towards the earlier helmets, or a Type C as bomber crewman used those a lot too.

Yes that did help . Thank you 38driver. I always love seeing you wonderful collection,

In some of the pic's I have found on his uncle Groups website. The 447th, There are a lot of the members wearing the Type C,. The are distant pic's but you can see the ear cups sticking out. But those were earlier crews that when his uncle served. They don't have any pics of his timeframe .It's October-November 43 pic's(Type C and B-6) then it jumps to February(A11's)

I'll make sure my friend takes a look at the link you posted. Excellent examples there.It makes one drool.

Thanks again

Semper Fi

Phil

I came back to add to the one above , But the edit option was gone,

So my Friend does have a B-6 coming like mentioned in post #4. The one coming with earcups but no recievers , I was referenced to the book Gear Up which said ANB-H-1 in the B-6 pic's they have in it and now it is back to R-14.

So my Friend could look for either one and it would be period correct. .

That will make his search a little easier if he doesn't have to look for just one type.

Thank you 38 driver!

Semper Fi

Phil

Phil,

Some good information here, in answer to your question, and some, not so much. Don't hesitate to ask though, as that's what we're here for! The R-14 pre-dates the ANB-H-1, so for early war, you would want the R-14. The ANB-H-1 started showing up for use by both the USAAF and USN in 1943, as did the A-11, AN-H-15 and AN-H-16 helmets. They were intended to replace the older A-9 and B-6 helmets fitted with R-14s. There would have been a transition period, so you will see some mixing of old and new types. As previously mentioned, an easy way to tell in a vintage photo is the black plug on a short cord versus a red plug on a longer cord. Both types of ear phones had pigtails to secure them to the cord. The earphones with screws on the face, as shown in the third photo of post #11, are British type 16 however, not R-14s.

Regards, Paul

Phil,

Some good information here, in answer to your question, and some, not so much. Don't hesitate to ask though, as that's what we're here for! The R-14 pre-dates the ANB-H-1, so for early war, you would want the R-14. The ANB-H-1 started showing up for use by both the USAAF and USN in 1943, as did the A-11, AN-H-15 and AN-H-16 helmets. They were intended to replace the older A-9 and B-6 helmets fitted with R-14s. There would have been a transition period, so you will see some mixing of old and new types. As previously mentioned, an easy way to tell in a vintage photo is the black plug on a short cord versus a red plug on a longer cord. Both types of ear phones had pigtails to secure them to the cord. The earphones with screws on the face, as shown in the third photo of post #11, are British type 16 however, not R-14s.

Regards, Paul

Thanks for the correction Paul. I went to look at my R-14 set and the screws weren't there. Sorry for the inaccurate info on that.

Thank you Paul,

And thanks to all that helped with this question. Very detail and informative.. A lesson learned here.

It was very much appreciated and I'll also say Thank You All for my Friend who is reading this thread and for who it was opened.

Take Care

Semper Fi

Phil.

Phil,

Any time. Keep those questions coming and someone will always be here to help.

38driver,

Thanks for adding those nice photos. The variations are many, and easily confused. Happens to me all the time.

38Driver and Phil,

It appears an apology is in order. Jerry has pointed out to me that there was a variation of the R-14 that had screws on the face. See photo below. Sorry for my being the source of mis-information and thanks Jerry for setting me straight!

Regards, Paul

post-9787-0-12812600-1575423124_thumb.jpg

Thanks Paul and also Jerry.

So are the screws for holding it together or are they used to hold the wires when installed? Or do they use the same set screws like the other types of receivers? Its hard to make out in these pic's.

I'll also add my friend posted his B-6 on WRF and gave praise to this site for the fantastic infomation you Gent's provided. He is very thankful for you help. I am also gratefull for this lession on Receivers. Along with help him this was an added bonus for me.

Semper Fi

Phil

I just found that exact pic on ebay being sold as

FOUR WWII R-14 RECEIVERS FOR M-1938 TANKER HELMET FLYING HELMET

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FOUR-WWII-R-14-RECEIVERS-FOR-M-1938-TANKER-HELMET-FLYING-HELMET/143459965158?hash=item2166e158e6:g:ircAAOSwfEJd5cT-:sc:USPSPriority!85364!US!-1

I was on the other site WRF and someone was asking about WW2 Soviet tanker helmets and when I seached ebay for that item to see if I could help him and if there were any on this side of the pond and that image was there.I had to do a double check when I saw them and yes that's them.

I just found that a little funny and strange at the same time.

Semper Fi

phil