WWI Victory Medal w/ French Fourragere

Militiaman

Very cool Victory Medal. It is a veterans modification. There are photographs of men wearing just the miniature fourragere by it self.

This is a non regulation way to wear the miniature of the " croix de guerre" fourragère.

The CdG is usualy a collective award to a specific unit such as an entire regiment.

Sometimes the CdG can be bestowed individualy to a single person and consequently the miniature may be unoficially worn on the Croix de Guerre medal, but not on a Victory medal.

I am going to be the one to make the unpopular opinion here, that ribbon looks oddly fresh to me maybe it is just the lighting but I would not put it past someone putting one of these back together to add that in hopes it adds more value! More images of the stitching and in different light would be needed to say for sure!

Furthermore, there are no WWI Victory medal that only have the 2 battle clasps Somme offensive & defensive sector affixed to it

For the 33rd DIUS the MEUSE-ARGONNE clasp is missing in addition to SO & DS.

For the 27th & 30th DIUS the battle clasp YPRES LYS is missing in addition to SO & DS

But the Ypres LYS clasp is a rey scarce and sought after.

Furthermore, there are no WWI Victory medal that only have the 2 battle clasps Somme offensive & defensive sector affixed to it

For the 33rd DIUS the MEUSE-ARGONNE clasp is missing in addition to SO & DS.

For the 27th & 30th DIUS the battle clasp YPRES LYS is missing in addition to SO & DS

But the Ypres LYS clasp is a rey scarce and sought after.

I have a question about the awarding of clasps to the World War One Victory Medal.

If the soldier was wounded during the Somme Offensive and was not present at the other battles, wouldn't he have received (and been entitled to) a medal with only Somme Offensive and Defensive Sector? Or were the medals awarded based on the unit in which they served?

Those two bars are appropriate as the full compliment of the 304th Tank Battalion, so there are several ways (to included wounded as already mentioned) to get to that pair of bars.

To my knowledge, the 304th Tank Battalion of Col Patton had not been engaged in the Flanders ( Northern France & Belgium)

The 304th was equipped with light french FT17 Renault Tank and saw action during the Saint Mihiel and Argonne Meuse offensive, and deserved the corresponding battle clasps.

To the contrary , the 301st tank Corps ( Heavy tank) was equipped with british MKV tank and were engaged in the battle of Bellicourt-Bony-Le Cattelet on Sept 29, 1918 in support to the 27th & 30th USID and UK & Australian troops.

Members were autorized to wear Somme Offensive & Defensive Sector clasps.

Very cool information. Thank you guys for taking the time to post!

I have a Great Grandfather that was a Sergeant in Company D of the 58th Infantry Regiment, 4th Division in WW1. Do any of you know the clasps he may be entitled to wear?

Rob

Yet another question about WW1 service and authorized clasps.

I have another Great Grandfather that Served in the Aviation Section of the Signal Corps as a Corporal/Chauffeur in the 101st Photo Section for the Second Corps Aeronautical School in Chatillon-Sur-Seine, France. Am I correct in assuming in this capacity, he would be authorized only the France Clasp on his Victory Medal?

• 4 weeks later...

Yet another question about WW1 service and authorized clasps.

I have another Great Grandfather that Served in the Aviation Section of the Signal Corps as a Corporal/Chauffeur in the 101st Photo Section for the Second Corps Aeronautical School in Chatillon-Sur-Seine, France. Am I correct in assuming in this capacity, he would be authorized only the France Clasp on his Victory Medal?

Without seeing his service records or company morning reports, I would say that yes, he is authorized the "France" clasp on his VM. However, if he had to go forward into a sector in combat due to his duties as a chauffeur he might be eligible for a campaign bar for the specific battle or a Defense Sector clasp depending on the time and location.