1/35 Scale 17th Abn & 57mm Recoilless Rifle Vignette

Old Marine

While waiting for the Thanksgiving family onslaught tomorrow I had some time to post some photos of this little 17th Airborne vignette that I have been working on for the past few weeks.

These figures are all DML. The 57mm gunner and loader are from the US Support Weapons kit. The kneeling rifle man is from the DML Ardennes kit and the figure lying in the grass is from the DML Market Garden set.

Anyway here are some photos thanks for looking and I wish everyone a happy Thanksgiving.

Thanks

Dennis

post-2843-0-39272000-1574902722_thumb.jpg

The DML figure set is modeled from this photo of 17th Airborne soldiers during Operation Varsity, March 1945. I think DLM did a pretty good job with these figures and copying the details. Aside from modeling the little used 57mm Recoilless Rifle DML also got the detail of the carbine magazine pouch sewn on to the upper sleeve of the gunner.

post-2843-0-72365500-1574903124_thumb.jpg

Dennis - Looks great - I am just starting to return to the world of models after a 40+ year absence but I may not have your touch

Semper Fi

Bill

Well Dennis, the onslaught of Thanksgiving is upon us and I absolutely love this little vignette that you just cooked up. lol. In this little piece everything works.

There is a symmetry with the soldiers in conjunction with the groundwork and foliage. Another fine piece. Happy Thanksgiving Marine.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Regarding your pictures the first time I really missed the lying soldier on picture 1& 2...

As Manny said, another excellent example of a perfect base/figures combo, WELL DONE! Painting and detail is simply amazing (for you patch guys the soldier far right is wearing a rare 17th Abn Div "reversed claw" patch variant with attached tab ;-). Dennis, thanks for sharing another superb vignette!

Lars

Garand, paint with good paints, Vallejo, Tamiya etc..make sure they are very well stirred and every thing is well mixed. Prior to painting, wash the figure with warm water and dish soap, like dawn to degrease the figure. if you choose, prime with white or gray flat primer and make sure that the primer is really dry, a day or two. Then paint with the model acrylics in very thin coats, lots and lots of thin coats. they will look terrible until the pain starts to build up but eventually they will look good.

A heavy coat of acrylic will always have a plastic sheen. He is a small how to that is pinned in the modeling section.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/243170-a-step-by-step-look-at-my-method-for-building-and-painting-figures/

• 5 months later...