Named 1945 USMC .45 M7 Shoulder Holster

No Quarter

Picked up this named 1945 holster today. It is marked BOYT USMC 1945 and named to a Lt. Ayars. Any thoughts appreciated.

post-162535-0-74591200-1574899312_thumb.jpg

I like the belt loop snap...no button heads left in the bin during manufacture...no problem...assuming it is a production snap and not a field repair..

Nice condition holster

Korean War Marine, LT (jg) John P. Ayars (288671) assigned to H&S-1-8, 2nd MARDIV.

I am suspecting ordnance officer, based on his MOS code.

Korean War Marine, LT (jg) John P. Ayars (288671) assigned to H&S-1-8, 2nd MARDIV.

Awesome, thank you!

Nailed it Blacksmith

Charlie Flick

It appears to be an M7 shoulder holster. However, the pics don't show enough to tell us everything needed to establish originality, condition and thus value. The belt loop snap is not to spec. Better pics showing all straps would allow for a more meaningful evaluation.

Regards,

Charlie

Sure thing Charlie, I fly back home tomorrow so I’ll get some pics tonight and post them as soon as I can.

Jacob

Charlie Flick

Hello No Quarter:

Yes, what you have is a genuine USGI M7 shoulder holster. It looks to be in nice overall condition.

The only odd feature is the snaps for the belt loop. They reversed. The body of the holster should have a male snap. The end of the belt loop should have a female snap. the outside of the female snap is smooth, blackened brass. Indeed, both male and female snaps are supposed to be blackened brass. You snaps are bright, which further indicates that they are replacements.

These snaps have always been the weak point in the M3 and M7 holsters as verdigris builds up underneath the female snap and ends up pushing it off of the body of the holster. That makes the belt loop useless. I don't know how your holster ended up with these snaps reversed on what is otherwise a nice example of the M7.

The pic below illustrates how the female snap appears when it is in the closed position.

M7 holster.JPG

Hope this helps you.

Regards,

Charlie