WW1 European-made Observer Half Wing

cwnorma

Fellow Wing-nuts,

Here is a recent add that I thought I would share with the group. I've been after a European-made wing with sequins for some time, knew about this one, and finally talked the owner out of it!

Patrick and I have shared our mutual soft spot in our heads for half wings. As half wings go, this one is a beauty! Slightly oversize, with five different types of bullion and sequins worked into the design. The background as well is not merely the backing cloth cut to shape, it is lapped around some sort of thin form which is then sewn fast to the uniform; giving the badge a very slightly "padded" countenance a bit like a British badge. Add to that the padded bullion itself and the badge exhibits really tremendous three-dimensionality:

post-594-0-27544500-1574876234_thumb.jpeg

The bullion has toned pleasingly

The uniform itself is also quite nice. Enlisted observers are a little scarce and this one has a bit of a mystery to it. On the left sleeve, the uniform has a lovely First Army Signal Corps shoulder sleeve insignia, honorable discharge chevron, and one blue "less than six months" overseas chevron. On the right, an Electrician First Class chevron. All of the insignia appears to have been on the uniform for a long, long time.

post-594-0-30419000-1574876242.jpeg

According to a hand written card in the pocket, the uniform is attributed to an "R. Yates." I searched all the pockets and no name, or any other form of ID is written in the uniform.

These picture files are a little large so I will have to break this up.

Here is a close up of the First Army Signal Corps insignia:

post-594-0-81871000-1574878503.jpeg

​Although there is a small amount of bullion loss to the inset, I especially like how the flame on the torch is executed in silver bullion.

The blue, "less than six months" overseas chevron is blue silk soutache. Interestingly, the Honorable Discharge chevron is sewn on upside down:

post-594-0-46056100-1574878746.jpegpost-594-0-26605200-1574878783.jpeg

Herein lies the mystery: The above chevron is for Electrician First Class. Electrician First Class is a Coast Artillery grade and the Tables of Authorization for the Signal Corps nor Air Service authorize that grade for enlisted soldiers. The appropriate, similar grade for both would be Sergeant First Class (three chevrons and one rocker). Both the Signal Corps and the Air Service had Master Signal Electricians, but that would be the next higher grade.

I have examined this uniform very carefully and I see no signs that it has been messed with. That said, I can find no "R. Yates" in the Signal Corps, Air Service, or Coast Artillery that matches the specifics of this uniform. Unfortunately, I am left with the conclusion that the written attribution to "R. Yates" is apocryphal and likely a collector's "salting" of the uniform from somewhere along the line...

Still, while the apparently spurious attribution itself is disappointing, I ultimately acquired this uniform for the wing badge. I am confident that the uniform has not otherwise been messed with and otherwise represents a Coast Artillery Electrician First Class observer detailed to the Signal Corps/and or Air Service.

As always, I am interested in your thoughts.

Best wishes and happy Thanksgiving to all!

Chris

Wow, what a great wing and uniform! That is a stunner!

I can imagine a fair number of scenarios where coastal artillery/air service and signal corps were busy trying to work out ways for spotter airplanes (and the observer) to communicate with the batteries to direct fire. Perhaps he was with one of the coastal artillery units and volunteered to attend an observer school in France to be trained in aerial observation (thus the observer wings)?

Still a super duper great wing.

Patrick,

Thank you for the kind words!

I really like this badge and uniform, I just wish the attribution panned out.

I spent a lot of time on Fold3, Ancestry, and pouring though unit histories and rosters and could find no leads that would conclusively bring me to an "R. Yates." Frustrating. Most of the time I don't like to put names out on the forum. In this case I have come to believe it to be apocryphal anyway so didn't see any harm. Besides, who knows, someone here might just have some information that confirms or denies the attribution? Whoever he was, he seems to have had an interesting war!

I know that in the US, the Coast Artillery experimented with tethered balloons for observation. There was also a shortage of observers in the AEF (hence the effort to train Artillery and Infantry officers).

Perhaps you are correct and this was a Coast Artillery Electrician First Class who somehow trained as an observer. Unfortunately every avenue I have gone down to research him so far has turned out to be a dead end.

Chris

Maybe it was owned by Rowdy Yates!

I actually have a grouping to one of the actors from "The man who shot liberty valance", and the Flying leathernecks.

Keep digging, I suspect you will eventually find something.

Chris,

I found a Robert Yates that was with the 61st CAC in France. Born in 1895 and died in 1968. Was from Arkansas. Went overseas in July of 1918 and returned to the US in January 1919, so about 6 months overseas. He was a PFC, but I have no idea how the ratings would have worked. I cannot find any aviation information or anything about his service, but.... maybe you can dig up something else?

...I found a Robert Yates that was with the 61st CAC in France. Born in 1895 and died in 1968. Was from Arkansas. Went overseas in July of 1918 and returned to the US in January 1919, so about 6 months overseas. He was a PFC...

Patrick,

I would suspect that to be rated an Electrician First Class, he would have had to either have been a "lifer" in the Coast Artillery or been an electrician in civil life before being drafted/inducted.

...and many strange things happened during WW1 too: I have a group in my collection from a Navy cook who was transferred to the Air Service due to a shortage of cooks. Perhaps this is a similar example? Maybe R. Yates (if we are to assume that there was such a person) could have been a Navy electrician who transferred to the Army?

Its a mystery to be sure.

Chris

I had a WWI navy group with a half wing on the jumper...he was basically an aircraft mechanic who was qualified to take planes up to check them out, according to the paperwork. I bet your guy had a similar job.