Japanese Flag Signed by VBF-93 Pilots

JDK

Squadron Info and Patch

VBF-93 Deployments May 1945 - May 1945 CV-21 USS Boxer CVG-93 F4U-4 ... .. VBF-93 Commanding Officers ? 2. January 1945 30. April 1946 ...

History

The Bomber Fighter Squadrons, were created to reduce the Fighter Squadrons in an Air Group to an acceptable size. Fighter Squadrons had up to 60 planes and 100 pilots. Normaly a Fighter Squadron was split in two to creat a Bomber Fighter Squadron.

post-2901-0-45345100-1574873626.jpg

• 7 months later...
tjstarduster

JDK, great flag and photo of VBF 93. My Dad's signature is on the far right, Guy Joe Smith. The photo was taken during their training in the F4U-1. My Dad joined the squadron in Norfolk as a replacement pilot after Ens. Garn Thalman was killed during training. They picked up new F4U-4s at Norfolk and flew aboard the Boxer, arriving in the Pacific after the war was over. They were shore based at Yokosuka Naval Base briefly when the flag was probably signed. I have another good photo of VBF 93 onboard the Boxer, Dad is in that photo. The squadron was disestablished when they returned to the states a year later. I would definitely be interested in purchasing the flag if you ever decide to sell it, let me know.

Small world. The flag was indeed signed Dec. of 45 at Yokosuka as marked on the flag. Thanks for the info. I will definitely keep you in mind. 

JD

• 4 weeks later...
tjstarduster

JDK, thanks for replying to my comment. The F4U-1 squadron photo was taken at Otis NAAS where Air Group 93 was training. There is a later photo of VBF93 taken onboard the Boxer, my Dad is in that photo and his F4U-4, #34 is also in the photo. How did you come across the flag? As I stated, I would really like to buy the flag if possible and pass it on to my grandchildren. My email is [email protected] Regards, Terry Smith

• 2 weeks later...