WWII Airborne Collecting / 2019

InfantryCollector

InfantryCollector

Hello,

I am a newer Airborne collector (less than 2 years), currently building my 82nd/101st collection. I've been trying to read as many threads as possible to get a good feel for this part of the hobby. It seems things went crazy after BOB, but I've read more recent posts that say things have settled back down.

Wondering what people have to say about the state of WWII Airborne collecting, patches or the broader category of Airborne in general, as it stands today in 2019. Has the BOB craze died down? Have prices dropped? Is there more ABN stuff hitting the market?

Thank You,

John Donovan

Greetings Donovan,

Funny you should bring this subject up. In the last couple months... Ive picked up a ww2 front seam with sewn on airborne straps. An OIF pasgat airborne helmet... An airborne flag from fort Bragg. A ww2 helmet refurbished for vietnam.. airborne shell and liner.

And I just picked up a complete packed reserve chute with log book etc for a great price. In fact all of it was priced right.

Its def out there but I scour ebay for deals. I get all my items from ebay but I search and search for deals.

Its out there. You just have to take the time to search for it.

INFANTRY !!!

Everything in the picture was 55 bucks shipped.. I dont want to say what I got the reserve T10 chute for. But it was a great deal!. But Ive got a lot of time on my hands to search for good deals. Thats what it takes. Time.

post-181333-0-53630800-1574872926_thumb.jpg

Hi John,

Good questions-

I think the overall is that the "spike" of airborne collectors (which really started after "saving Private Ryan" but then really blew up after BoB) has subsided and has calmed down a bit to be about where it should be. But serious AB collectors are still serious and prices are still strong. Just not crazy. We still sell pretty much every 101st patch we come across. People still ask crazy prices, but where things are really selling at is what we gauge things at. There are also many "humped up" uniforms and helmets out there offered from unscrupulous dealers and unknowing collectors that new collectors need to be wary of. It helps to network with other AB collectors at shows and online. I have been very fortunate to be able to buy most of my AB stuff through our shop, getting it from the vets/families of veterans - I rarely look for AB at shows or online, but everyone in a while I spot something I need there too. Good luck out there!

InfantryCollector

Good Morning and Happy Thanksgiving!

@Rooster. When I collected WWII German, I used to hunt eBay religiously. Like you said, there are some great deals to be found. Unfortunately for me, I'm still in the "dues paying" stage of collecting. Meaning, I don't feel I've got a good enough base of knowledge where I'm comfortable enough yet to gamble. I've been buying from a few trusted sources, like James Parker (TopKick Militaria) and Pat Quinn (Worldwarpatches), and studying like hell.

@Jerry. Recognize you from my days on WAF! Thank you for the background info regarding about Airborne collecting over the last few years. It seems to be typical with collecting that certain items come into style and then fade again. Guess I'm glad I'm not getting in at the top of the market. Out of curiousity, what years would collectors say ABN craze was at it's height?

Best,

John D.

• 3 weeks later...
InfantryCollector

I've come across some 506th PIR material lately and finding it's 2x the price of similar 501st/502nd items. Is the market for 506th really still march stronger? Personally, I don't place a higher value on 506th items over the other regiments.

John

I have been buying WWII Airborne patches and PIB/PIR patches the last couple years and have found just about everything through trusted dealers, forum members and the ASMIC con and SOS. It is out there!

It is expensive but fun. In just the last three months, beginning with the ASMIC show, I have made a big dent in my quest for WWII PIBs/PIRs, including finding a 501, 509 and 517. All thanks largely to this forum.

I think it is vital to make connections with the dealers and members here.

InfantryCollector

I have been buying WWII Airborne patches and PIB/PIR patches the last couple years and have found just about everything through trusted dealers, forum members and the ASMIC con and SOS. It is out there!

Agreed! The SOS is a fantastic show. Between work travel and family, I have only been once in recent years. I would be very excited to attend as a para collector for the first time.

Best,

John