Strange 82nd Airborne patch colors - UCP-Delta?

No Quarter

Picked this patch up today because of the 2 tone colors. Was this possibly used by the 82nd when they were testing out the UCP Delta pattern? Any thoughts?

Jacob

post-162535-0-35579600-1574826252_thumb.jpg

This ISAF patch is the only one that comes close to UCP Delta pattern, that I have and didn't know at the time.

It was only comparing to other ACU ISAF brassards that I noticed the difference.

Note the coloring at first I thought some one had smeared rust over it!!!

I do not know if there were UCP Delta pattern patches authorized as this was an experimental camo pattern that was made for testing and used by some units in combat.

Phill

post-7582-0-35647400-1574963368.jpg

post-7582-0-67244200-1574963375.jpg

I compared this patch to my other 82nd patches and I don't think this is a faded one. The grey thread on the patch in question is still rich in color, same goes for the second color. Maybe it's a one off patch made by a servicemember for some reason. Take a look at these closer photos.

Jacob

post-162535-0-50078600-1575047436_thumb.jpg

This is just a manufacturing variation. You can pick up 10 used UCP gray patches all to the same unit, and most will show varying shades of gray and different levels of fading/wear. I have a stack of 5 or 6 1st ID patches, and even with that fairly simple design, all of the patches are noticeably different.

The used ISAF patch above is not a UCP-Delta example. It is simply well used/soiled. Standard ACU and FRACU uniforms heavily used during OEF/OIF exhibit the exact same kind of wear/discoloration.

UCP-Delta was an extremely limited issue, short-lived uniform. Even the US military didnt bother going out of their way to make special insignia for it.

Lastly, the UCP pattern is no longer, for most practical purposes, a current camouflage pattern of the US military. The pattern was retired from general use back in October. Its all OCP now.

Thanks for clarifying Longbranch.

I could not think why they would produce UCP Delta insignia for an experiential uniform albeit used by some some elements in combat for testing purposes, when standard ACU would of sufficed.

That sounds common sense that it's well worn which had created that odd ball rustic discoloration look.

Below is another well faded and used odd coloured 36th Engineer Bde.

cheers

Phill

post-7582-0-06566100-1575053964.jpg

This is just a manufacturing variation. You can pick up 10 used UCP gray patches all to the same unit, and most will show varying shades of gray and different levels of fading/wear. I have a stack of 5 or 6 1st ID patches, and even with that fairly simple design, all of the patches are noticeably different.

The used ISAF patch above is not a UCP-Delta example. It is simply well used/soiled. Standard ACU and FRACU uniforms heavily used during OEF/OIF exhibit the exact same kind of wear/discoloration.

UCP-Delta was an extremely limited issue, short-lived uniform. Even the US military didnt bother going out of their way to make special insignia for it.

Lastly, the UCP pattern is no longer, for most practical purposes, a current camouflage pattern of the US military. The pattern was retired from general use back in October. Its all OCP now.

Thank you for the info! Good to know.

Jacob