First Time Poster - Navy cap help

MarkM

​Greetings from chilly northwest New Mexico! I came across this site while researching some Navy items we picked up at an estate sale and am looking forward to learning from those with much more expertise than I have. I never had the privilege to serve but am returning the favor to those that did by driving the local DAV van to the VA in Albuquerque three hours away most weeks when we are home. What a humbling yet rewarding experience. Please bear with me as I figure out how to post topics - I'm sure I'll have a learning curve. Thanks for taking a look. I'm thinking the items we have are from a woman who served in the Navy - WW II I believe. Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks and God bless! Mark

post-267882-0-33469100-1574784962.jpg

post-267882-0-55905600-1574784987.jpg

post-267882-0-60721000-1574785045.jpg

post-267882-0-17910200-1574785101.jpg

post-267882-0-72891300-1574785064.jpg

That you for posting. The cap is indeed from a female US Navy officer. I can't tell from the rank pin her rank, but if it is gold, it would be for an Ensign, and if silver for a Lieutenant Junior Grade. The cap was a private purchase, so without a contract number it is more difficult to date. It is my understanding that this style of cap was introduced in Spring 1945. If it is very dark blue, it could be from WWII until later (1950s or 1960s). I collect WWII uniforms, so I am not as informed on when the regulations changed afterwards. Hopefully the name of the maker will allow someone more knowledgable to give you a better idea.

Thank you both for all the information! I'm pretty sure the cap is black if that makes a difference. And the rank pin is silver. NNC means ??? Do you know what the eagle, shield and anchor pin signifies?

Thank you both for all the information! I'm pretty sure the cap is black if that makes a difference. And the rank pin is silver. NNC means ??? Do you know what the eagle, shield and anchor pin signifies? 

NNC is Navy Nurse Corps. The cap device is for a US Navy officer. NNC was absorbed into the main Navy in 1948, if I recall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The NNC was given temporary relative rank in December 1942. They were given actual military rank in February 1944, which was when they could start wearing the officer's crest. Then permanent commissioned status in 1947. This type of overseas cap was authorized for wear in 1944. The WAVES were authorized to wear this cap in January 1945. (This from the book Dressed For Duty.)