Blackinton (V.H. Blackinton) Co of Attleboro, MA: examples and patterns

• 1 month later...

I recently stumbled across this 2" wing, and was surprised to find out that it was one made by Blackinton! I wish that my camera skills were better as the wing is truly a piece of art. My photography just doesn't do it justice. With the number of recent threads devoted to navy wings, I felt that this one out to get some attention as well. I hope you enjoy it.

Allan

post-151-0-48934900-1533815170_thumb.jpg

post-151-0-83433700-1533815333_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...
wings-patches2

People on the forum seem to have a passion for Blackinton wings. Here is a documented piece. I bought this wing along with other memorabilia from a Flying Tiger fighter pilot. He had a few full-size wings, but this was the choicest --- that is, aside from his original numbered Chinese wings. I expect to list this Blackinton wing on eBay in a few days along with assorted documentation: paperwork and photos. (The bulk of his memorabilia is also all featured in Jon Maguire's last book, "Leather Jackets ... etc.") My eBay ID is WINGS-PATCHES.

The time-darkened wing shimmers in the light. Sweet!

post-264555-0-97958200-1574733015_thumb.jpg

post-264555-0-47133600-1574733122_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...
The Rooster

Greetings all.,

I fortunate today and was able to pickup this Blackington made Navy wing.

The only Blackington in my collection.

24242.jpg

7283283.jpg

2273.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

The Rooster

My new Blackington wing came in. Its a beauty!

The blackington is on the left. I've always thought the wing on the right is a Blackington made wing too. The fronts appear identical. The backs not so much but its the same pattern for sure.

DSCF4482.JPG

DSCF4481.JPG

Its rather difficult to find the regulation sized Blackinton marked USN aviator wing, in my opinion.  The "hat" sized on is more common. And I suspect, like you posted, that there were some NON-hallmarked Blackinton-made wings that are more common. 

Cool beans and nice wing. Thanks for sharing.

• 1 month later...
rathbonemuseum.com

Thanks to aceshigh! on ebay (item no. 115474912372), we are fortunate to see a well hallmarked V. H. Blackinton naval aviator wing. 

Some interesting aspects of this pattern:

1. The circular but very flattened "berries" in the shoulder

2. The very fine horizontal lines in the negative space of the shield between the vertical foreground bars

3. The unique shape of the shield top where the three top peaks are almost the same height (most wings the outside peaks are noticeably not as high as the center)

4. The heavy pin and drop in catch. Probably consistent with earlier period construction when Blackinton marked its material as V. H. Blackinton. I am pretty confident later unmarked versions of this wing had what we consider a more standard pin fitting.

5A79802B-577F-4E89-9420-A25B58BB1641_1_201_a.jpeg

E8B451E0-4B06-4FE5-B6AB-0E1CDFFB1CE9_1_201_a.jpeg

A89C9AF5-B8C7-46E7-8883-232D5E3DA4C8_4_5005_c.jpeg

5thwingmarty

I believe John Ferguson has shared photos of a nearly identical wing in an old post.  Does anyone know what the marks under the word Blackinton are?

I am also curious if these were from an entirely different die or if they modified the die to alter the details in the recessed stripes.

5thwingmarty

In case I'm not the only dolt who couldn't make out what the marks under the work Blackinton are, I finally figured out it is just CO.  So does anyone have any info on when Blackinton began using this particular hallmark?  The only other naval insignia I have turned up so far is a clutch back Submarine Combat Patrol badge which at least implies the hallmark was used late war to post war.  Unfortunately the sub badge had the clutches on so I don't know how the posts were attached or how long they were.

• 1 year later...

Tod, that’s one stunning USAAF Command Pilot wing!  Thank you for sharing your rare and real V.H. Blackinton hallmarked example!