M1 Net

byf41

Persian Gulf Command

I don't like it. The weave of the cotton looks too "fuzzy". This is an indication that the cotton fibers were not spun too tightly when the thread was made. A while back a forum member referenced the sound an authentic WW2 net makes when it is tossed on a helmet shell. Although, un-scientific as an indication to determining authenticity, is has a basis because of the density of the cotton weave of the thread used to make WW2 period nets.

Additionally, real nets have a rather abrasive feel, again do to the tight weave of the thread. If the net in your photos has a soft feel it would also indicate a repro net.

Here are some photos of my mint WW2 nets on mint helmets:

1 of 4 OD 3/4 inch

post-17994-0-41110400-1574722597_thumb.jpg

I have a repo net and to me It looks a lot fuzzier than this one which Is why I thought It might have a chance . Honestly having this In hand I don't see much fuzz , but these are still a bit of a mystery to me .

• 2 weeks later...

I would lean towards it being original as well.

The light 'fuzzing' may have been caused by soaking in water or rot-proofing agents.

Here is a 100% original net in the same size that came out of England a while back. It had an unbearable petrol smell to it.

net4.jpg

Persian Gulf Command

byf41,

Based on ken88's photo and the sound on the shell, as silly as it seems, I'll change my opinion and say your net is period.