Leather Belt adapter for double belt hook

Misfit 45

Hi Folks,

I usually live on the edged weapons forum, but haven't got an answer yet. I tried the firearms section, thinking it might be a holster adapter. No luck.

I have never seen this belt adapter on a bayonet scabbard before and I don't think is belongs there. (of course it would make sense if a GI would want it on a regular belt).

Does anyone know what this belt adapter was used on? It is totally unmarked. Thanks.

Marv

post-26996-0-56659900-1574655010_thumb.jpg

post-26996-0-44760900-1574655041_thumb.jpg

If the hanger will take a 1 3/4 inch wide belt, it was no doubt made for the Army M 1902 leather garrison belt worn through WWII. MP, or OD, or some such thing.

Steve

That's great! Thanks for the insight. Sam Brown belt makes sense. M 1902 garrison belt.

Guard duty make a lot of sense. Thanks again.

Marv

I don't think a Sam Browne belt, which was only worn by officers. I've never seen images of an officer wearing a bayonet on their Sam Browne belt. Plus, the Sam Browne belt is wider than the m 1902 garrison belt, so I'm not sure the hanger would fit on a SB belt.

Steve

If the hanger will take a 1 3/4 inch wide belt, it was no doubt made for the Army M 1902 leather garrison belt worn through WWII. MP, or OD, or some such thing.

Steve

This would be my guess as well, for under arms when the garrison belt is to be worn and the bayonet carried. I was trying to find some images of FDR's burial, I think the troops in the Firing Squad might be wearing the garrison belts rather than pistol belts, to see if they to carry bayonets.

If anyone finds a photo post it here, also any 1930 photos of burial details or honor guards, because we should think this scabbard would be used if the garrison belt was to be worn under arms, and the bayonet carried.

The inside measurement of this adapter is just under 2 1/4 inches. As for whether a bayonet was carried with a garrison belt, here's a pic of a soldier using a 1909 belt adapter for his early 1905 bayonet which has the Krag type hanger.

Marv

The post showed "no file selected", so I did it again. That's why two pics, sorry

post-26996-0-06664300-1574912370_thumb.jpg

post-26996-0-58224500-1574912411_thumb.jpg