rooster77

WW2 Navy Talkers Blast Helmet

Greetings all.

I was fortunate tonight to find this on Ebay at a good price. Its the 4th one Ive picked up and its prob the best one I've aquired. The seller billed it as a Navy Flight Helmet. A whole lot of people make that mistake. The strap alone if you can find one, the cost for just the strap is close to 40 bucks.

This Blast helmet is in great shape. I'l have to get it inhand but it looks real good. Size small.

The ear cups open up so you can place the headphones of the sound powered headset into the cups, thus shielding them from external noise from gun blasts. They are out there usually marked as Navy Flight helmets. But most of the ones Ive seen are ripped or missing chin straps.

post-181333-0-85778900-1574652076.jpg

post-181333-0-63270600-1574652096.jpg

Here is how its worn under the talker helmet.

And a profile with the helmet removed.

post-181333-0-58458400-1574652249_thumb.jpg

post-181333-0-10709200-1574652270_thumb.jpg

The cool part about the sound powered sets besides neading no electricity.... Is that if the ear phones are damaged... you can listen and talk through the micro phone.... and if the micro phone is damaged.. you can listen and talk through the headphones...

Ive got 2 working sets. They are ww2 era and they still work.

Wow that is a great settup and blast helmet, mine is not nearly in as good shape. Are those variable density goggles that you have displayed on it, would those be what a navy talker would wear? That is really cool about the sound powered microphone working double duty. Thanks for sharing.

donation2019.gif

Wow that is a great settup and blast helmet, mine is not nearly in as good shape. Are those variable density goggles that you have displayed on it, would those be what a navy talker would wear? Thanks for sharing.

Thank you Ray.

Those are navy recon googles. They have a slider lever instead of a dial and a soft lens. Not Red. If you adjust the lever it eliminates glare. Unlike the other types.. the rotable one for ground troops that come in a green tin box. These come in a blue tin box.

Heres a link to a pair might be these, (I've got 2 pairs) that I posted earlier this year.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/328087-i-have-aquestion-about-ww2-variable-density-goggles-please-help/?hl=%2Bnavy+%2Bgoggles+%2Bww2&do=findComment&comment=2636969

And a link to my two talker displays...

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/330603-navy-talker-double-set/

Nice pickup Dave. I said nice pickup Dave! Can you hear me? I thought you said that talker worked. Either the microphone or the headphone must not be working.

donation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Specific areas of collecting and buying interest:

WWI/WWII 40th (Sunshine) Division, Camp Kearny, Camp Harry Jones, WWI/WWII 158th Infantry, USS Oklahoma, USS Swordfish (SS-193), Pearl Harbor Survivors Association, Mexican Border (1916),

Norman Air Technical Training Center (NATTC) Norman, OK, Tinker Field or AFB, Submariner Items, Knives, Bayonets, Sweetheart Jewelry, other unique

or odd items with interesting stories.

Thanks for the link, I didn't know that slide type existed. Or that there was apparently a rotary navy version that was also in a green tin, turns out I had a pair of navy goggles on a bomber display for a year. Opps haha.

donation2019.gif

Nice pickup Dave. I said nice pickup Dave! Can you hear me? I thought you said that talker worked. Either the microphone or the headphone must not be working.

lol... you cant hear me ? Im reading you Lima Charlie... lol

Thanks Matt !

Thanks for the link, I didn't know that slide type existed. Or that there was apparently a rotary navy version that was also in a green tin, turns out I had a pair of navy goggles on a bomber display for a year. Opps haha.

Well there is a navy type with the rotating knob and usually light grey rubber that the aircorps members used sometimes. There are photos of them wearing them. And B-29 crews sometimes wore the Red goggles for ground troops.

Well there is a navy type with the rotating knob and usually light grey rubber that the aircorps members used sometimes. There are photos of them wearing them. And B-29 crews sometimes wore the Red goggles for ground troops.

You can find more info on the blast helmets and the Navy's use of the variable density goggles here:

https://pilotsmanyourplanes.com/Page_148.html

https://pilotsmanyourplanes.com/Page_78.html

Interesting. I would have thought it was a flight helmet too.

On a side note, it appears as though two of the sailors pictured on this page are wearing their M1 helmets backwards. Any known reason they may have done this, or just general unfamiliarity with the M1?

I've seen rookie Soldiers put their PASGT or ACH on backwards just because they are poorly trained and/or have the awareness of a hammer.

Wonderful find. Great display!

Kind Regards, Michael .S

WW2 77th Division Researcher and Collector

Interesting. I would have thought it was a flight helmet too.

On a side note, it appears as though two of the sailors pictured on this page are wearing their M1 helmets backwards. Any known reason they may have done this, or just general unfamiliarity with the M1?

I've seen rookie Soldiers put their PASGT or ACH on backwards just because they are poorly trained and/or have the awareness of a hammer.

I believe it to be intentional. Some individuals preferred wearing the helmet this way as it gave them a better field of vision, particularly upward. In the wartime color documentary "Memphis Belle", the pilot wears his M1 in this reverse fashion as well.

Less restricted vision toward the sky. Certainly makes sense for AA gunners. Thanks.