Vietnam-era flight jacket to USN Cdr. Neil L. Harvey

Martygraw

I picked up this jacket this weekend. Cdr. Neil L. Harvey is a 1955 graduate of the U.S. Naval Academy, who achieved designation as an aviator in September 1957. He flew 350 combat missions in Vietnam, assigned to the USS Hancock and USS Midway. He later served with the Chief of Naval Operations and spend three years as the naval attaché with the American Embassy in Paris. He retired in 1983. I am sure you will all join me in wishing this great American well. Thank you for your service, Cdr. Harvey. Fair winds and following seas.

As for the jacket, Vietnam-era items are not my area of expertise, but this is by far one of the best looking flight jackets I have seen from any era, as I am sure you will agree. I am also humbled to own Cdr. Harveys medals, squadron C.O. cap, flight suit, wings, and citations.

post-104910-0-43427900-1574625936.jpg

I recently acquired a Squadron ballcap from VA-56. The ballcap was owned by a Lt. assigned to the squadron when Cdr. Harvey was the Commanding Officer.

The LT was flying an A-7 Corsair and was shot down over North Vietnam and became a POW in the famous Hanoi Hilton.

Here is a picture of the LT's hat.

post-10825-0-07317500-1575593744_thumb.jpeg

Pretty cool. Whats the name of that naval aviator?

A. A. Nichols, survived captivity, released and continued his Naval career retiring as a Commander in 1988.

Chris

Nice grouping. I see that this officer had been services with the french navy 12F "Les Lascars". They were flying the USN fighter Crusader at this time.

Franck