M1 Helmet FB - Date?

No Quarter

I was hoping to get a production date on this M1 as well as a manufacturer. Also, it appears there was once white paint on the helmet. Possible Ardennes veteran? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jacob

post-162535-0-96013800-1574625231_thumb.jpg

There were 2 manufacturers of M1 shells in WW2, McCord and Schulter. If there's no "S", it's a McCord. Lot number 557 is about July of 1943 on the chart I have. It could have been whitewashed during use by a vet in Europe.

The date chart is not super accurate as it's based on observations of different hardware configurations on helmets rather than known manufacturing dates but mid 1943 seems accurate.

As for the manufacturer, this would be a McCord. Here's a visual guide I wrote up a while back for telling the difference between McCord and Schlueter helmets http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/331834-fixed-bail-help/&do=findComment&comment=2666088

• 1 year later...
On 24/11/2019 at 22:29, Nickman983 said:

La tabla de fechas no es muy precisa, ya que se basa en observaciones de diferentes configuraciones de hardware en cascos en lugar de fechas de fabricación conocidas, pero a mediados de 1943 parece precisa.

En cuanto al fabricante, este sería un McCord. Aquí hay una guía visual que escribí hace un tiempo para saber la diferencia entre los cascos McCord y Schlueter http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/331834-fixed-bail-help/&do=findComment&comment= 2666088

Thanks for the information, it is very detailed. I have purchased a helmet pot and I think it is a McCord but I'm not really sure. It is numbered 408C, without the S.

Do you know if many of this series were made? Thanks in advance.

Here is a heat stamp calculator from France.

Enter your heat stamp in the box click the button.

Yours comes up Jan 1943

http://ghost.treaders.free.fr/identification_casque.php

M1 lot calculators and charts are not of much use since the data they are based on are nowhere near complete.  Just looking at the Helmets of the ETO chart it's easy to see how much smoothing of data there is, since it's a straight linear progression and actual production often varied by tens of thousands of helmets per month. 

There are many things that are not known about m1 helmet manufacture, including how many blanks made up a lot.

Seek out the article Marc Giles wrote on m1 lot numbers and you will find a good deal of well-researched information on lot numbers.

Link to the thread containing the article aef1917 mentioned 

As mentioned, the heat number chart is only really useful as an estimating tool, not something that can tell you exactly when a helmet was manufactured. Using a good reference book and examining the helmet in hand can often yield the same results.

There is often too much emphasis placed on the lot numbers when they don't give us a ton of information that can't be obtained by just looking at the helmet.

1 hour ago, Nickman983 said:

Link to the thread containing the article aef1917 mentioned 

As mentioned, the heat number chart is only really useful as an estimating tool, not something that can tell you exactly when a helmet was manufactured. Using a good reference book and examining the helmet in hand can often yield the same results.

There is often too much emphasis placed on the lot numbers when they don't give us a ton of information that can't be obtained by just looking at the helmet.

Thanks for the link, it has been very useful for me to understand the manufacture of helmets and their numbering.

• 3 weeks later...

Very nice shell, like it a lot! However, is that Mccord rounded (1st style) fixed loop on a 557C shell? Never seen them on such a high stamp! Very interesting.

Only seen them on heat stamp 25-188, and an additional six shells, the highest so far 305. But 557, what a jump.

Would love some more (close up) images of those loops and stamp, if it's possible.

On 11/24/2019 at 4:29 PM, Nickman983 said:

The date chart is not super accurate as it's based on observations of different hardware configurations on helmets rather than known manufacturing dates but mid 1943 seems accurate.

As for the manufacturer, this would be a McCord. Here's a visual guide I wrote up a while back for telling the difference between McCord and Schlueter helmets http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/331834-fixed-bail-help/&do=findComment&comment=2666088

Nice Analysis Nick,  Ive seen this before and used it.  Sometimes Schlueters don't have the S (or its in a different area) so this was helpful for identifying one.  Takes time to put these together so thanks.

Z

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2021 at 8:09 AM, twthmoses said:

Very nice shell, like it a lot! However, is that Mccord rounded (1st style) fixed loop on a 557C shell? Never seen them on such a high stamp! Very interesting.

Only seen them on heat stamp 25-188, and an additional six shells, the highest so far 305. But 557, what a jump.

Would love some more (close up) images of those loops and stamp, if it's possible.

I wish I could provide more pictures but I am currently in AIT right now.  That is interesting info you provided, I have never heard of the 1st style fixed loop.

Jacob

Not so much first style as it is early production. There is nothing that I've seen that shows an official design change on the chinstrap loops. Honestly, these charts give us an approximate time period, like within a 3-4  month time span and not down to the actual month as many think it does. There is a lot of speculation and guesswork that was involved in the compiling of these charts. To think these are much more accurate than that is folly. Suffice it to say, knowing it was made within a particular year is still helpful. Now, let's talk about swivel loops used on D-day.  😉