WWII, M-1, FB, 29A w/Hawley Liner, Named to LT (jg)

Gary Ziegler

I've just obtained my first WWII fixed bail M-1 helmet complete with the original Hawley liner and I'd like to know what the helmet is worth. The heat stamp is 29A, both the helmet and liner bear an identical vertical white stripe on the front (stripe is 1/2" wide and 2" in length). The sweatband is named to a LT (jg) F Hewitt. Here is the description:

Helmet steel: there is one vertical stress crack, approx. 1-1/4", at the left front. The cork and paint are original, there is light rust on the exterior and interior.
Both bales are solid and retain the original welds, they have not been broken or repaired.
Chinstrap webbing has the original bar tacks, there are no significant stains, no fraying or tears on the webbing.
Chinstrap material is brass with a raised bar buckle.
Hawley fibre liner material shows cracks and wear to the rear, front and center crown. The white rayon webbing and rectangular aluminum are tight and in excellent condition.

The double-wire sweatband is stamped W199 QM 036778, J7J SIZE 5. The leather is surprisingly soft and supple. "LT (jg) F. Hewitt" is handwritten on the sweatband's leather.
The white rayon nape strap matches the liner webbing and is stamped as size "3".
The liner chinstrap hardware is intact, but the leather liner is missing.

post-128769-0-15617800-1574552388.jpg

post-128769-0-00222400-1574552493.jpg

RonnieBigR800

It could reach anywhere from $500 - $800, maybe $1,000 if it sits long enough. The heat stamp is extremely early, one of the first batches produced (M1 shells started at 25A) and the Hawley liner matches the shell exactly. It's an extremely nice set, I wouldn't let that one go. It's extremely hard to find M1 sets in the 20's.

I would think closer towards $450-$550 or so. Though I wouldn't be too surprised if it went a bit higher on an auction site if it was well listed.

It's a nice set but unfortunately not in the best shape. From the pictures it looks like the liner is all there but the front is starting to fall apart. Also looks like there's a fair bit of cork loss on the helmet, but more/better pictures would give a better idea what state the paint/cork is in.

Based on the pictures in the other thread the heat stamp is very likely 219 or 209 or something along those lines rather than 29 (spacing of the numbers, later style McCord bails). Still early but not one of the first production M1s.

All in all a very nice helmet.