Reserve Chute opinions

The Rooster

Overall view of the bag and on the side where the pull ring is attached to the bottom is a string with a metal pin at the end hanging free. Not sure what thats for?

post-181333-0-41572200-1574797900_thumb.jpg

WWII parachutist advise is sound...

https://nara.getarchive.net/media/us-army-usa-private-pvt-sanchez-center-parachute-rigger-173rd-airborne-brigade-1e8b15?zoom=true

here is a link to a pile of reserve chute's in Italy...note that the pile of chutes, some have the blue and yellow tape on the rip cord handle, similar to yours

At first i thought your pac was too small to have a chute in it...but looking at the pile of chutes...yours looks about right...and it should be pretty heavy and dense ...but the only way to say for sure is to pull it and repack it...

if you pull the pins....the spring loaded pilot chute will pop out but the canopy will/should remain tightly packed..if you hold onto the pilot chute, so it does't go flying...then you can carefully look through the layers of nylon to see if the lines are there etc..

repinning shouldn't be too hard if you don't disturb the canopy too much..

Me? as long as it felt dense and heavy...I would leave it packed...for display

Looking at the log book… It says it was put into service in Italy in 1996…

If you do pull the ripcord and both pins, don't do it bent over the chute. If it is complete, it will likely have a spring loaded pilot chute that is literally going to come flying out of the pack with enough force to do damage if it hits you in the face. Units often have "off the books" items they end up with one way or the other. If it never was disposed of through channels, then there is a good chance it is complete. Like the old saying goes, seeing is believing, so do a little investigating when you get the thing and let us know. I am sure I speak for everyone when I say we are all rooting for it to be complete!!!

Looks like it still has the complete canopy. The lines could be cut, but based off the picture it looks like there is a good chance everything is still together. And be careful about pulling the ripcord....reserve chutes pack VERY tight, and it can be extremely difficult to get everything back unless you have some experience. I would recommend only pulling one pin to release the side flap, and checking that way.

I really owe you a ton of thanks for informing me of and warning me about the extraction spring. That would have been an unwelcome nasty surprise!!!

I saw one extended and it looks like it expands out to 18- 20 inches in length !! Would a smacked me right in the face had I not made this post and you great folks not given me the warning.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you!!!

Thank you kindly!

Dave

WWII Parachutist

Overall view of the bag and on the side where the pull ring is attached to the bottom is a string with a metal pin at the end hanging free. Not sure what thats for?

I believe you are referring to the safety pin for the snap hooks. After the pack is clipped to the harness, that pin is inserted into the drilled holes in the gate of one snap hook (right hand side). That way, should one hook somehow come undone, the second will always stay put.

Looks pretty good. You'll have to look for a T-10 harness for that which will be that same OD green color vs the AF Sage green harnesses.

Side note not to hijack anything, but does anyone know where you can find blank Army Parachute Log Record books? I always love finding them filled out on harnesses and chute packs but would also like to find some new blank ones too.

I believe you are referring to the safety pin for the snap hooks. After the pack is clipped to the harness, that pin is inserted into the drilled holes in the gate of one snap hook (right hand side). That way, should one hook somehow come undone, the second will always stay put.

Cool, thank you for explaining that.

Looks pretty good. You'll have to look for a T-10 harness for that which will be that same OD green color vs the AF Sage green harnesses.

Side note not to hijack anything, but does anyone know where you can find blank Army Parachute Log Record books? I always love finding them filled out on harnesses and chute packs but would also like to find some new blank ones too.

I found some on this site here.

https://www.theriggerdepot.com/log-records.html

Now that I understand whats going on with this, I'l give it another look in a couple of days and see if I can get some pics

of the lines at the bottom.

Don't go thinkin' we are any smarter than you, I have more than one scar that came from a "learning moment"... I bet you have a couple from different experiences to pass on to us when the time comes!!!

It does sound like it is complete and uncut! It is alwys great to hear when someone has a neat find! It makes the hobby that much more enjoyable for me!!!

Don't go thinkin' we are any smarter than you, I have more than one scar that came from a "learning moment"... I bet you have a couple from different experiences to pass on to us when the time comes!!!

It does sound like it is complete and uncut! It is alwys great to hear when someone has a neat find! It makes the hobby that much more enjoyable for me!!!

Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving !!

I got into the side again tonight.

I used a cord to secure the short side of the ripcord pin and lashed it to the ring so it wouldn't pull itself out easily.

Then I used the long end of the cord to help close the open flap up. Worked like a charm . Very easy to close up like this.

Here are some shots of the open side.

post-181333-0-11579800-1574986246_thumb.jpg

2 The lines appear to be in a green bag at the bottom of the stack. I cant see them but I can feel them through the green.

post-181333-0-47752900-1574986285_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

People who jump out of perfectly good aircraft are a special kind of brave human being.

I could not do that !!!