Reserve Chute opinions

The Rooster

Greetings all. Happy weekend coming up.

I was wondering what are the opinons on this Packed Reserve Chute.

Seller says its complete.

post-181333-0-34541200-1574409828_thumb.jpg

post-181333-0-80672100-1574409841_thumb.jpg

log book

Im thinking this one is uncut because it looks like its still attached on the bottom and seems to be carrying all

the proper hardware on the outside? Looks intact to me but I dont know anything about these.

I'd appreciate any opinions on this.

Thank you all.

post-181333-0-46228700-1574409928_thumb.jpg

There is no sure fire to tell just by looking at the outside of the pack if it has a canopy or pillow stuffed inside it, much less if the shroud lines are cut or not. Most chutes call for the ripcord pins to be safety tied with a single turn of nylon thread. I don't see a safety tie on either pin, but, that doesn't necessarily mean anything... Can you get a finger in one side of the pack, and does what is inside feel like nylon? Then does the nylon feel like it is folded in an "orderly" fashion, or just crammed into the pack. "Orderly" lends more credence to it being complete. Bottom line, unless he is willing to let you pull one pin to get a look inside, it comes down to "Do You Trust" the seller? (Take a piece of heavy nylon cord with you to put through the cone to use as a pull up cord. That makes it easier to get the pin back in.) Here is a link to a similar chute with cut lines: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Parachute-Military-Chest-Troop-Reserve-24-ft-Diameter-cut-lines/163870397604?hash=item26276fd4a4:g:mHQAAOSwuxRdg5GM

There is no sure fire to tell just by looking at the outside of the pack if it has a canopy or pillow stuffed inside it, much less if the shroud lines are cut or not. Most chutes call for the ripcord pins to be safety tied with a single turn of nylon thread. I don't see a safety tie on either pin, but, that doesn't necessarily mean anything... Can you get a finger in one side of the pack, and does what is inside feel like nylon? Then does the nylon feel like it is folded in an "orderly" fashion, or just crammed into the pack. "Orderly" lends more credence to it being complete. Bottom line, unless he is willing to let you pull one pin to get a look inside, it comes down to "Do You Trust" the seller? (Take a piece of heavy nylon cord with you to put through the cone to use as a pull up cord. That makes it easier to get the pin back in.) Here is a link to a similar chute with cut lines: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Parachute-Military-Chest-Troop-Reserve-24-ft-Diameter-cut-lines/163870397604?hash=item26276fd4a4:g:mHQAAOSwuxRdg5GM

Agreed. Good info RW. All said, why not just pull the rip cord ( disengage the pins) ? I would not be to concerned about repacking it. You tube has videos on how to pack chutes.

Hey thank you for the information.

Ive never had a parachute before but I've always wanted one.

I'l be straight up honest.. when I was in, I was just too plain scared of heights to volunteer for airborne.

My hats off to you folks. Forever and always.... much respect.

When it comes in I'l pull the rip cord and unpack it and see if its been cut. From what Ive been reading...

The ARMY Wouldnt release it for surplus unless its been cut. So I'm guessing it has been.

But I do like that it has all the clips and pull ring and log book etc.

I cant make out the blue stamping on the bag from the pics. Seemed like a great deal compared to

some other ones that were up for sale. So I snagged it.

Good luck, it does look alittle " puffy", maybe all there uncut and stuffed inside, or maybe a pillow underneath....let us know. I had bought my MC1B thinking it had cut lines, but when I unpacked it, it was complete uncut....that forced me into figuring out how to display it at events.post-180924-0-52996100-1574444863_thumb.jpeg

WWII Parachutist

Looks like it still has the complete canopy. The lines could be cut, but based off the picture it looks like there is a good chance everything is still together. And be careful about pulling the ripcord....reserve chutes pack VERY tight, and it can be extremely difficult to get everything back unless you have some experience. I would recommend only pulling one pin to release the side flap, and checking that way.

If you do pull the ripcord and both pins, don't do it bent over the chute. If it is complete, it will likely have a spring loaded pilot chute that is literally going to come flying out of the pack with enough force to do damage if it hits you in the face. Units often have "off the books" items they end up with one way or the other. If it never was disposed of through channels, then there is a good chance it is complete. Like the old saying goes, seeing is believing, so do a little investigating when you get the thing and let us know. I am sure I speak for everyone when I say we are all rooting for it to be complete!!!

WWII parachutist advise is sound...

https://nara.getarchive.net/media/us-army-usa-private-pvt-sanchez-center-parachute-rigger-173rd-airborne-brigade-1e8b15?zoom=true

here is a link to a pile of reserve chute's in Italy...note that the pile of chutes, some have the blue and yellow tape on the rip cord handle, similar to yours

At first i thought your pac was too small to have a chute in it...but looking at the pile of chutes...yours looks about right...and it should be pretty heavy and dense ...but the only way to say for sure is to pull it and repack it...

if you pull the pins....the spring loaded pilot chute will pop out but the canopy will/should remain tightly packed..if you hold onto the pilot chute, so it does't go flying...then you can carefully look through the layers of nylon to see if the lines are there etc..

repinning shouldn't be too hard if you don't disturb the canopy too much..

Me? as long as it felt dense and heavy...I would leave it packed...for display

All good info but there always comes the time to sell. How you going to sell it in one, five , ten years down the road when you can not answer a buyers questions about it? My MC1 was intimidating, but I have repacked it ( got it all back together) once already. Nothing to repacking them....( I have sandbags laying around and a nice yard) as long as i don't have to jump with it.

Ever watch the videos of the riggers packing the chutes...It amazed me to see the rigger use a blunt object to tuck the canopy in place when trying to compress the chute and pin it....some of the these guys beat the crap out of the rig...trying to get the air out maybe...

I have repacked a few sets...but not for use...

Thank you all for the advice. And the warning. I had no idea these things were sproing loaded. You all saved me and I appreciate it.

Seems theres a ton of things to learn about these.

Great parachute display 917601.

Thank you ww2... Im going to carefully remove one pin and look at the side as advised.

Looks like it will prob be a good idea to put a weight on top before I remove the pin...

Just to be on the safe side.

I watched this video...

Looks pretty complicated. I saw the spring plate going in and it ends right as he is about to pull the pin out of the spring plate.

If it looks all folded and neat inside... I'l prob just pin it back up.

I'l be sure to update this with pics when it comes in.

It sure does have the same tape scheme markings on the pull ring.

Looks just like those one in the link to the stack of chutes.

Thank you all!

I did my jump training in 1980 and actually had to use my Reserve chute when I had a main chute malfunction on my second jump. It was a terrifying experience, but in the end I landed successfully with just some minor injuries due to a poor deployment and a second malfunction of the emergency cutaway setup. I have a great deal of respect for that small bundle of silk stuffed into that pack, as well as the riggers that pack them. However my main chute malfunction was suspected to have been a packing error. A member of my unit was on the ground taking photos and caught the whole sequence on film. It was weird to see it all frame by frame after the fact.

My hats off to all of you Airborne. I saw one mass jump in 1990.

We went to Fort Irwin Jan 1990 for desert training. We rode in on buses.

The 82nd Airborne came in for desert training.

Only they jumped on Fort Irwin.

I saw several guys on crutches in the mess hall.

Thats some tough stuff !!!!

The closest I got was strapped into the side seats of hueys for too many flights.

Im scarred of heights mind you and joined the Army specifically to stay out of the air.

Uncle Sam put me in hueys and twice in a chinook! lol

But Jumping out of a perfectly good aircraft........

Nope !!! lol

My hats always off to you Airborne.

Anticipating the chute arriving mid week.

A blast from the past. I ETSd in Sep 80, shortly after my unit jumped into Ft Irwin high winds, a few killed and wounded. Investigation showed wind gusts excess of 30 mph, deaths were attributed to troopers not deflating their canopies while being drug along the ground at 30mph across a desert terrain. I knew a few of them, it has been a long time ago. The hazards of Airborne, what else to say. Hats off to all branches of our military, just one story out of a million.

A blast from the past. I ETSd in Sep 80, shortly after my unit jumped into Ft Irwin high winds, a few killed and wounded. Investigation showed wind gusts excess of 30 mph, deaths were attributed to troopers not deflating their canopies while being drug along the ground at 30mph across a desert terrain. I knew a few of them, it has been a long time ago. The hazards of Airborne, what else to say. Hats off to all branches of our military, just one story out of a million.

Irwin is a desolate place. Like another planet. Thats a shame about those Men. Dangerous trade.

We were on a hill top in a valley with airborne troops. Dug in. When we pulled out... the airborne troops pulled the wood that they used to hold up the insides of their holes... they pulled the boards out and packed em on their rucks. In a day and a half time period.. There was a brief rainstorm, a brief snow storm follwed by over 27 hours of wind dust storm. Spent the night in the dust storm on the hill top. The next morning, the storm slacked off... The enemy... some armored division attacked us.. and when it was over.... about an hour later... the dust storm started back up. I know they cant control the weather.. But it seemed like it. !

Its a strange place for sure.

I have a question about a harness.

Is this a suitable harness? The seller states its missing some buckles. They want 50 bucks plus shipping.

Manufactured 1984.

post-181333-0-10658400-1574650427_thumb.jpg

That's either a USAF chest type parachute rig harness but I think its a crew restraint harness "monkey harness". Not for a reserve chute rig. If the rear side has a raised X pattern with the straps, its the monkey harness for attaching the "tail" to. The aircrew chest chute packs look like your reserve pack but are different. From about the 50s til current they use a C-9 type 28ft canopy which is like the standard aircrew emergency parachute for both chest and back rigs as well as ejection seats.

Whew !!! Thank you for saving me!

This forum with you great folks on here is like a parachute. Survival....

Thank you!

The chute came in today.

Very solid and fairly heavy for a somewhat small package.

I did like your great advice suggested and had my Son hold the short pin side down and I pulled the

other Pin. It looks all neatly packed and I Felt around on the top towards the other side that My Son was holding down and I

encountered the drouge chute extraction spring !!!!

So after about 5 minutes of Struggle... Im not kidding at all, with my Son holding down the one side,

I got the flap back up and pinned it shut !!!

Man was that tough!!!

Just like the seller said it sure looks to be complete!

Im not going to try and unpack it.

That spring is something else again and it looks like its been packed since 03.

The log book states it was manufactured in 1992.

Im very pleased with it.!!!

Im assuming its not been cut due to the way its packed and the spring still in place.

I didnt want to dig down and look at the lnes. I thought it best to just close it back up.

Thank you for the warning about the spring !!!!

Happy Guy here !!! :-)