WW2 55th MED GP canvas sign

This hand painted canvas sign arrived today. The sign was brought home by a Capt. Herbert S. Holdsambeck. Capt. Holdsambeck was a B17 pilot with the 99th bomber group. The 55th medical group 15th field hospital was assigned to the BG. The sign measures 29.25x28 there is some tape residue on the back, not sure what was on it.

I posted the sellers pictures in the whats it worth section and there were concerns to its authenticity due to the number of fakes on EBay and one question was has anyone ever seen one before, I could not find an example on the web but I am 100% sure about it one being real.

No glow under black light,I know that doesnt mean much to some.

Marty

post-158590-0-98969800-1574377498_thumb.jpeg

post-158590-0-22863900-1574377512_thumb.jpeg

post-158590-0-54111300-1574377524_thumb.jpeg

post-158590-0-41364700-1574377537_thumb.jpeg

I like it Marty, it is tough with these one off hand done items but, it looks really good to me.

"There is no such thing as an expert, only students with different levels of education."
donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

I was at the Pomona, CA military show in May, there was a vendor there that had a whole both with fabrications just like this, I mean stacks. They used old white canvas and made banners of all sorts of unit markings. This was identical to what they were selling.

I know there are tons of fakes and thats one reason to be apprehensive with any of these banners. I am 100% sure this one is real due to where it was found. The question is with all of the fakes, what are they based off of?

I would like for this one to be scrutinized and welcome any thoughts good or bad.

1 found in the footlocker of a vet that served alongside this FH

2 zero glow, dead to a black light. I know its not a test that would hold up in court.

3. The wear and tape residue on the back.

4. Old fold pattern, has been folded for a long time.

Any thoughts welcome.

Marty

I am not casting stones but just educating. scattaurus7777

I believe he was the one at the pomona show.

https://www.ebay.com/str/scattaurus7777/Militaria/_i.html?_sacat=13956

Ive looked at his and they seem to smaller, the construction on the back is different and the grommets arent the same. I does make a lot of them. Thank you for the reply.

Marty

For giggles I could send him a picture of it and ask if he ever made one like it.

I understand old canvas would not glow but if I’m correct modern paints would(lighter colors) I could test the paint for lead.

Marty

I did I burn test on a piece of canvas thread and the a piece of the stitching both burn to ash. The thread stitching is cotton and almost looks like rope. Will post pictures of the thread when I get home from watching MIdway.

Marty