painted D-1 jacket "Dakota Queen"

all1knew

Hello all,

I would like to hear some opinions on this jacket. For the price it went for at auction and with the imagery it almost appears to be too good to be true.

You can click the link if you want to view larger photos:

https://www.hakes.com/Auction/ItemDetail/235850/WORLD-WAR-II-D-I-MECHANICS-JACKET-WITH-BOMBER-ART-DECORATION?fbclid=IwAR3dNSJRyD9A8adE9Is_GhlWJpmaYFsMbQLyjYfubBDZb8v0JjPJ-qkrPTY

William Kramer

post-83697-0-27985400-1574372777_thumb.jpg

Looks promising from the too-far-away photo to tell for sure. With all the cracks these typically have, an actual inspection would tell if original art (i.e., shouldn't have paint in the cracks). But, with this type jacket, you're actually "renting" it. It will turn to dust within a few decades.

Yet another unnamed jacket. Kurt is right with the condition of this one for sure. The shearling has been dyed in many places to disguise the loss of original "lacquer". Often this loss isn't just cosmetic but rott. Left pocket zip appears a replacement. Others might be frozen. The pinup looks more recently painted as well. Honestly, without provenance, such jackets will never increase in market value like they would if documented. Speculation becomes baked in with lower end unnamed jackets.

Based on the jackets you've posted, I think I might advise avoiding this place.

JMO,

Dave

D-1 Jackets were primarily worn by AAF ground personnel. Flyers wore the B-3. I'm suspicious of the war-time vintage of this jacket, for reasons stated as well.

IMO the jacket itself is legit....with post war artwork ...there is evidence of grounds crews with artwork on their jackets, but the style is conflicting with wartime examples...just an opinion

D-1s were primarily designed and issued to ground crews, there is evidence also of flight crews wearing D-1s, same can be said about ground crews wearing B-3s and B2 caps..

Hello again,

I have the jacket here in hand and while I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm not so sure the artwork is postwar. I have taken some detailed macro shots and have even tried to photograph some of the paint under magnification. To me, all of the age is similar throughout. Hopefully these new photos will accurately portray things a bit better than initially.

Additionally, the jacket is named on the underside of one of the interior pockets.

William Kramer

post-83697-0-48620100-1575046383_thumb.jpg