Hells Angels 8th Air Force A2

all1knew

Hello all,

I would like to hear some opinions on this jacket. I see the the liner has been replaced. Any chance this was period done? The color almost looks like OD green or something from the period. For the price it went for at auction and with the imagery and theater made patch it almost appears to be too good to be true.

You can click the link if you want to view larger photos:

https://www.hakes.com/Auction/ItemDetail/235847/WORLD-WAR-II-A2-FLIGHT-JACKET-WITH-EIGHTH-AIR-FORCE-DECORATION?fbclid=IwAR0HxM2KFOIGXYLUKoOAsZuthR64bGd47_N1Tj0MCjJOuVn9bBim5HTyEfY

William Kramer

post-83697-0-26099000-1574372414_thumb.jpg

post-83697-0-43521000-1574372423_thumb.jpg

I think it's getting to the point that many of the high end collectors and those willing to pay a really good sum, want provenance with such a jacket. "I like it" and "Looks good" aren't enough. Just remember the painted M-1 helmet threads? Some pro opinions really got dinged there. Even when a jacket appears "authentic" it is impossible to collect and preserve the history and meaning of it unless a previous owner sees and identifies it(becoming unlikely) or one is willing to manufacture the history. This jacket is really cool but is likely to remain forever unnamed. Add to the this the fact it has been relined (mistake to such a jacket) and the originality is even more obscure. Add enough dings and one is advised to pay(/invest) more for a jacket with intact provenance.

Just an opinion,

Dave

Was unable to edit so....

I think it's getting to the point that many of the high end collectors and those willing to pay a really good sum, want provenance with such a jacket. "I like it" and "Looks good" aren't enough. Just remember the painted M-1 helmet threads? Some pro opinions really got dinged there. This is not a contract jacket at all - note the seams under each sleeve. Even when a jacket appears "authentic" it is impossible to collect and preserve the history and meaning of it unless a previous owner sees and identifies it(becoming unlikely) or one is willing to manufacture the history. This jacket is really cool but is likely to remain forever unnamed. Add to the this the fact it has been relined (mistake to such a jacket) and the originality is even more obscure. Add enough dings and one is advised to pay(/invest) more for a jacket with intact provenance.

We can make up a story saying, "private purchase", etc but without provenance one will always be hopeful and making excuses for this jacket. There were more pp jackets on playgrounds than in combat so such a painted pp jacket needs to be proven. Hate to call this a dud but not a good place to invest $1500.

Just an opinion,

Dave

I think I have seen this jacket somewhere before. I am not sure the squadron patch is a period-piece and would need to examine it further. The wool looks too thin. Can you post images of the inside of the jacket?

I am going with Dave on this being a PP jacket...the seam on the back of the sleeves, near the underarms...should not be there(unless repaired?)..and the wear/patina on the jacket does not match the wear on the chest patch

the pointed collar style is that of a Dubow, along with the large box stitched epaulettes

I do like the Hell's Angels on the back..

This is definitely a private purchase jacket given the three piece arm construction. Last year I got a private purchase A2 from the vet's son along with pics of his Dad wearing it during the war. They don't command as much money as the contract versions, but were definitely used during the war. The good news is that the lining may be original to the jacket