1943 Press Photo Chief Boatswains Mate Gilbert Peterson patrols Grand Coulee dam

tthen

I recently got this picture just because I thought it was strange that the US Navy was guarding inland Dams. I live in Washington state and was unaware of this fact. Anyway enjoy

Tom

post-33759-0-77184900-1574363023.jpg

post-33759-0-58656700-1574363039.jpg

Nice photo, not one I've seen. I think he is more likely USCG (and I think I see the USCG shield on the lower right sleeve near the cuff). All branches performed guard/patrol duties around vital infrastructure throughout CONUS in WWII, but the USCG provided a large part of that. There is a great photo book for anyone interested in the WWII USCG called 'Prints in the Sand', about the beach patrols they did.

I think it's a really cool photo, love the composition of the image. If only it was a color photo, that's the only way it could be improved. Imagine the view back then! I just realized the caption said 'Chief', he's wearing a jumper so it's more likely he's a third, second, or first class petty officer than a Chief, but normal newspaper mistake (I've been misquoted by the papers before, sometimes the reporters jumble what they write). Really awesome pickup though, these old press photos are cool

Bob, thanks for the confirmation. Warhawk when you noticed he was not a Chief I took a closer look at the photo and your right. He has a single stripe on his rate patch. So he's a Boatswain 3rd class Petty Officer.

Apparently there is an article that accompanies this photo, seems to have been published between May and October 1943 in various newspapers. If you have a newspapers account, you can see it.