WOW - nice price for a photo

dhcoleterracina

Confederate photos are multiple times more valuable than Union photos because they are so much rarer, not as many Southern photographers compared to the North. Then it's a clear photo, two revolvers in the belt and a either D guard sabre or cut down sword to boot. I can't really see whats hanging down on his right hip. A great photo.

Confederate photos are multiple times more valuable than Union photos because they are so much rarer, not as many Southern photographers compared to the North. Then it's a clear photo, two revolvers in the belt and a either D guard sabre or cut down sword to boot. I can't really see whats hanging down on his right hip. A great photo.

I think I see what appears to be something with a frilly edge.....Could it be a unit flag, pennant or whatever leaning against his right side?....I agree the picture has what CW collectors are looking for....Expensive but very nice piece....Bodes

The photo is an ambrotype and has solarization (shadowing ) that matches the matt (indications of C/W time period)He’s wearing a roller belt buckle,typically Confederate.If the two pistols or the sword can be recognized as Confederate manufactured or his shirt attributed to a certain unit then the price will probably climb. Plus if he can be identified from another photo (typically several were taken at a sitting) that adds considerable value. On top of all this the library of Congress is adding to its collection thru the “Lilenquist family collection”. Top quality C/W photos are in high demand. A footnote This market has brought out the scoundrels. Caveat Emptor.

We were discussing this image on Civil War Faces on FB last night. There are some identical views/similar that point towards the 10th Taxas Cavalry, but bot the shotgun armed image. $9k and $7k for an image with issues is unreal. Maybe they're worth that much to Texas collectors, but I wouldn't have. Makes my Pickett's Charge/Armistead's Brigade WIA/DoD image a lot more valuable I hope.

Allow me to embarrass myself here, as I am completely ignorant on most things - Civil War items being chief amongst those.

I was watching this just for fun; which it certainly was.

Is it possible this type is named on the back, or was this not done / would have already been dismounted and checked? Just trying to learn a bit. Thank you.

Sold $9100

The ebay seller sold another one for over $7K:

Screen Shot 2019-11-22 at 8.22.24 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-11-22 at 8.16.56 AM.png

I think that piece clearly shows that with the right content, "issues" have little impact on value.

The seller must be doing a happy dance: they don't appear to be someone who deals in much militaria or high end items. Notice in the one image above that of 751 completed listings on their ebay site, only 3 - including these photos - sold for more than $126.

The ebay seller sold another one for over $7K:

I think that piece clearly shows that with the right content, "issues" have little impact on value.

The seller must be doing a happy dance: they don't appear to be someone who deals in much militaria or high end items. Notice in the one image above that of 751 completed listings on their ebay site, only 3 - including these photos - sold for more than $126.

Multiple armed CS soldiers are commanding great prices now. I deal in CW photographs and was surprised with the closing price.

I also would caution viewers that condition issues do have a huge impact on prices/ values.

The second image suffers from flaking of the black applied to the back of the image. It is completely correctable. In fact, I believe that it is the better of the two images.

Scott

Scott,

Good eye. I assumed the flaking was on the front, but didnt pursue it much further since it's well outside of my price range. What's your website offhand?

Mark,

I don't have a website.

I set up at Civil War Shows and the DC Photograph Show.

If you have any specific units or photos that you look for, I'd be happy to check my current stock and let you know as items come in.

I have a huge selection of Civil War images thru WW2.

Scott

Allow me to embarrass myself here, as I am completely ignorant on most things - Civil War items being chief amongst those.

I was watching this just for fun; which it certainly was.

Is it possible this type is named on the back, or was this not done / would have already been dismounted and checked? Just trying to learn a bit. Thank you.

Hey Blacksmith. Some photos Ive seen have a name added to a piece of paper. Ive also seen hard images (tintypes and ambrotypes )with Corps badges or I.D. Badges fixed to the inside cover. Iam betting the dealer pulled the image out of the case to check for an identification.