50th New York Engineer Shield Badge

skypilot6670

Shield badge of Marcellus Depue ,he mustered in on Aug. 22,1862 at 18 years old and mustered out with his Company on June 13,1865.The 50th New York were one of the Engineer Units in the Army of the Potomac. They laid the bridges at Fredericksburg for Gen. Burnsides campaign , losing 7 men killed and 14 wounded. Bruce Cattons Glory Road does a great job describing the 50th part in the battle.They were also involved in bridging the James River for Gen. Grants 1864 overland campaign (2010 feet long).Depue is shown present on his Company Muster Rolls for his entire enlistment.

This is the first Engineer I.D. Badge in my collection, its unusual in that it has his home address engraved on the back.

The front reads M.L Depue Co.G 50th Regt. N.Y. Engs . The back reads Romulus Seneca Co. N.Y.post-137056-0-56096400-1574344952_thumb.jpegpost-137056-0-94866400-1574344968_thumb.jpeg

beerdragon54 and mdk0911 The history of these identified badges is the exciting part of collecting them.Born and raised in Upstate New York I have a special appreciation for the units raised there. Thanks Mike

That's a great badge. I'm another born and raised in Upstate New Yorker here. I too love to see things from the old home region. Lots of Mikes around here. That's why they call me...

Mikie