M9A1 gas mask usage?

tk1976

Im not sure if this is the right place to post this and sorry if this is a dumb question.

Considering the M9A1 gas mask was the primary gas mask for the US military during the 1950s, I have yet to really see any pictures of them in use during the 50s. Ive only ever seen pictures of them in use by the ARVN and US national guardsman during the mid to late 60s and other military personal up to the 80s along with plenty of pictures of the M17 in use. Were the M9A1 gas masks really widely issued/used or not considering theres also such a large surplus of NOS M9A1s still around today?

National guard units also used them....There are photos of them being worn during domestic unrest, with these units wearing them....Bodes

But I see you posted that above...My bad....Bodes

Here's one more with the type in use in a Regular Army unit, Gear Display in a Bivouac setting, the 91st Engineer Battalion, Fort Belvoir Virginia 1961.

post-34986-0-81769000-1574382233_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the pictures guys! Too bad there isnât many out there, but I also happened to find a picture as well. Itâs of a medic checking for radiation during the later 1950s.

b18aa21e28bf5e6087abb9d695fc48aa.jpg

Thanks for the pictures guys! Too bad there isnât many out there, but I also happened to find a picture as well. Itâs of a medic checking for radiation during the later 1950s. b18aa21e28bf5e6087abb9d695fc48aa.jpg

These troops are regular army too, in Germany, note the vehicle bummer number, says 7A 95 M, that stands for 7th Army, 95th Medical Group.

https://www.usarmygermany.com/Sont.htm?https&&&www.usarmygermany.com/Units/Medical/USAREUR_Medical%20Troop%20List.htm

• 2 weeks later...
Cap Camouflage Pattern I

post-153751-0-63298100-1576302493_thumb.jpg

Third Marine Division (3rdMarDiv). Vietnam. 05/01/1965. [Photographer unknown]. M-14 rifles, helmets, gas masks and other personal gear are lined up near a wall during a Marine amphibious landing near Chu Lai, approximately 50 miles southeast of Da Nang