USS Reina Mercedes Formerly Spanish Ship Reina Mercedes

mds308

I found an interesting paperweight at an estate sale. It has a hexagonal base and each side has an engraving. It reads: FROM - SPANISH - SHIP - REINA - MERCEDES - A.P.CONE. Research to date, thanks to Matt, has found that A.P. Cone was Archie Pleasants Cone. We're still trying to find a connect to militray service. Archie was born in 1892. Not old enough for Span Am service but definitely old enough for WWI. Some information about the ship:

On 3 July 1898, Cervera's squadron attempted its escape, and was completely destroyed in the Battle of Santiago de Cuba . At about 2000 hours on 4 July 1898, Reina Mercedes, by now without most of her guns, slipped her moorings and proceeded into the channel. Just before midnight, the battleship USS Massachusetts spotted her and, together with the battleship USS Texas opened fire. Although Reina Mercedes took many hits, her scuttling crew stayed on course, dropped anchor, and detonated their scuttling charges, but Reina Mercedes drifted to the eastern edge of the channel before sinking, going down in a location that failed to block the channel.

Between 2 January 1899 and 1 March 1899, the U.S. Navy raised her and later put her into service as the disarmed receiving ship USS Reina Mercedes.

post-165739-0-56309600-1574124094.jpg

post-165739-0-24869800-1574124104.jpg

post-165739-0-37954700-1574124112.jpg

I would like to hear from others on my new findings. I believe what I have was not a paperweight in an earlier life. I think it was the finial for the ships steam whistle. Any opinions? Thanks.

post-165739-0-90149700-1574172027_thumb.jpg

Definitely a possibility in my mind. Does your paperweight have any threads inside the bottom of it? If it does, that further goes to show it is as you suggested.