Glider Pilot Wings with unusual applied G

wings-patches2

wings-patches2

I acquired these about 20 years ago from a veteran's family. There was no intent to deceive. I'm thinking the "G" was applied overseas. Any ideas or familiarity? Would like to identify/describe correctly. Thank you in advance.

post-264555-0-59158900-1574117229_thumb.jpg

post-264555-0-36378100-1574117270_thumb.jpg

Did the family specifically say their relative was a glider pilot and not an aircrewman like a waist gunner? I've never come across a glider pilot wing with that early AMICO hallmark but the hinged side of the pin back assembly only opening up half way is what you come across on later AMICO glider pilot wings. It has what looks like patina with wear along the raised portions of the wings. Another question is the damage near the left shoulder. It kind of looks like a shallow cavity. If it is a cavity then I would wonder if this was not a casting. I only collect glider pilot wings so I have never come across anything like this before. If genuine then the glider pilot must have taken an early AMICO pilot wing to a jeweler and had a "G" soldered onto the front of the shield.

wings-patches2

I have no doubt that the G was a later application and I've always guessed the man flew gliders and couldn't access a commercial "G" wing so he had one adapted. Just wondered if anyone else had ever seen one. I think it is very cool. I guess when one has seem much of the usual stuff for so many years the "personalized" exceptions become more pleasing for their uniqueness and catch-as-catch-can G.I. mentality.

Very cool wing! I've never seen one with an Amico wing as the base, but that "G" design is awesome. I have a Beverlycraft with an applied "G".

rathbonemuseum.com

It is going to hit different collectors differently for not being "textbook". It is well done and i really like the serif typeface. One of a kind. But again, it is a taste thing.