A Study of Ribbon Bars and Their Charm

Captainofthe7th

Captainofthe7th

I have been trying to update my website with content relevant to collectors and not just with material from my collection. This weekend I compiled some ribbon bars and covered a bit about varieties and use. While I try to focus on only attributed items, I still pick up ribbon bars on their own and I always consider why it's a piece of collecting that I am always drawn to. I think this could easily be a long and detailed piece, but I tried to keep it trim. Because of that, though a second part is already brewing.

https://www.rcmcollection.com/featured-ribbons

Hopefully this is informative and interesting. I am always happy to make changes per any suggestions!

Thanks,

Rob

I enjoyed your write up, I dont collect ribbon bars but I can certainty see the draw of those that do. Thank you for sharing 1 of your collecting passions.

Rob,

Great site with many interesting aspects to it.

You have some great uniforms and Korean War bring backs are super rare.

Really enjoyed it and thank you for doing it,

Peter

Hey Rob,

Very well done, and thanks for sharing! Also reminded me to browse your site again. Really love your tributes you've put together, and the site flows so nicely.

Captainofthe7th

Thank you all for the compliments and feedback. Rocco - that might be a part 3! A few things kept me from including more Navy/USMC/USCG - mostly I just do not have many with original ribbons. I have had to restore many of the USMC coats and Navy jumpers I have and the Navy men are either officers with direct sewn ribbons or only the two corpsmen I featured - and I have NO USCG! So it may be a case of showcasing some unattributed stuff and have that flow more with what I plan for Part 2 with construction, patent drawings, etc.

Thanks,

Rob

• 4 months later...

Rob,

Came back to this after scrolling through the site between work projects....I love it and echo the others' sentments. The work is great, and hits it right on the head. ALthough for me some of the charm is intangible. Maybe it's just visual or at times, it just allows me to see the person (in pictures or real life) and compare the look, build, personality with the record on their chest. I had a colleague when I was in CGSC at Ft. Leavenworth; my year group but hadn't seen in many years. His rack was over the top. DMSM, MSM, BSM etc the list goes on. After we were LTs he went on to an amazing career so when we met at school, he was wearing it. I served with another person, former AF special ops type, who had nothing from his enlisted time but the basics...turns out he was in some operations that were not unclassified at the time so his decorations were not worn (so the story goes). Anyway, round about way to say what you said...the research tells stories that go well beyond the ribbons, and that is the charm to me.

AND, I'm like a kid or my dog....the colors and combinations visually stimulate my senses and I'm a visual guy, so just seeing them gets me excited to find out more...

easterneagle87

I'm a bit of a ribbon reader. What story is it telling. When I come across anyone in uniform, I do a quick scan. At a graduation ceremony years ago my daughter's friend got a scholarship to the Coasty Academy. Two uniforms were there to present it. One was wearing ARCOM, AM, BSL etc not a typical USCG rack set up. Turned out he was a former Army warrant with service from my old division (101st) in Iraq. We had a good chat.

Skysoldier80

Great collection.

I love collecting ribbon bars. That is how I first started collecting US stuff outside of family unit stuff. I always like the US ribbon bars with foreign awards on them. I have a few, but I would like to eventually find a USAAF bar with a British DFC; have yet to score one of those. A second one that I wanted was a USMC bar or bars with European awards on it from WWII.

Neat website!! Good work. Thought you'd appreciate this. Ribbon bar sample boards are tough to find, especially a WWII dated one!!

post-10896-0-62553700-1586006973_thumb.jpg

post-10896-0-15981700-1586006990_thumb.jpg

Captainofthe7th

Thanks all for the comments and revival! It's probably good time lately to do another article. The 1944 dated board is really nice and helps out a lot with storytelling as we can see what was available, the order of precedence, and so on.

Rob