"Hidden Figures" NASA women to receive Congressional Gold Medal

cutiger83

The Congressional Gold Medal will be awarded to Katherine Johnson and Dr Christine Darden and posthumously awarded to Dorothy Vaughan and Mary Jackson to honor their contributions to the success of the NASA space race.

From CNN:

"The women who worked at NASA's Langley Research Center in Virginia, were so-called 'human computers' who did the company's complex calculations that made space travel possible. They played pivotal roles in World War II aircraft testing, supersonic flight research and sending the Voyager probes to explore the solar system. They also helped land the first man on the moon in 1969."

I highly recommend seeing the movie "Hidden Figures" to learn more about these amazing women.

Kat,

It was a wonderful movie and I am glad to hear that their contributions to the Space Race will be recognized and acknowledged..

Leigh

Medals so well deserved by these brilliant genius women. I too watched the movie and thought it was awesome. So sad that for some of these women the medals were awarded posthumously.