Strange steel helmet seen at flea market today - USAAF Flak Helmet

Tonomachi

A seller at a flea market I frequent showed me this picture of a helmet that he found at a different flea market. I've never seen anything like this before and was wondering what it was for?

post-1389-0-28146900-1573944598_thumb.jpg

It's an M1, field modified to serve as a flak helmet. These were done by the 8th AAF, prior to the availability of dedicated flak helmets. Very rare and very desirable. They actually used a screw-jack inside the helmet to bulge out the sides so it would fit over a radio headset.

Very nice helmet! It's a M1 modified for use for aircraft crewmen during WWII. Here's a short thread with another one http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/332448-m1-helmet/

I'd love to own one of these myself some day.

Thanks everyone for this information and this link. I tired to buy the helmet but the seller had an inkling that it was rare so he is going to put it for sale on eBay.

Thanks everyone for this information and this link. I tired to buy the helmet but the seller had an inkling that it was rare so he is going to put it for sale on eBay.

Cash is king..

Well now we know to track the most expensive hemlets on ebay until this pops up. lol That would have been a real find if you had got it.

Yup, pretty cool modified lid, I’d love to have that one in my war room to sit with my flak helmet collection! I have a similar helmet but it was in no way as well engineered in the modification.

I bought my first jeep from an 8th AAF veteran back in 1991. He was a gunner on a B17. He still had his helmet just like the one in this thread. I tried real hard to get it away from him but he wouldn't let it go. Eventually another collector talked him out of it. Don't know where it is now.

try to buy it before it gets on ebay, make him an offer he cant refuse.

^^^This!

There would be a magic price. You just have to figure out what that is.

He's going to lose fees, etc. listing it online...and it's a crap shoot.

I've been keeping my eyes peeled for this one and I haven't seen this pop up on ebay yet so I assume it either wasn't listed yet, it's been sold offline or shortly after it was listed.

If I saw this one at the flea market I would have been running to the ATM to make sure I could buy it. If he's still got it the next time you're at the flea market I'd try to make him a good offer on it, cash is king as they say. Heck, even if you're not interested in keeping it I'm sure you could flip it if you get it at the right price.

The ATM? You might loose out while you’re there. Keep abundant cash in your pocket when you shop. I’ll never make that mistake again

The ATM? You might loose out while youre there. Keep abundant cash in your pocket when you shop. Ill never make that mistake again

I almost missed out on an SS helmet that way....Guy had one on his table at a local baseball card/coin show....When I inquired about what he was asking for it, he replied it was already sold....Went back and asked how much it sold for?...He said $50....I walked away in disgust, but a voice in my head told me to to go back and offer $100...Figured I had nothing to lose....He agreed to the offer, but as luck would have it, I didn't have the money on me...Called home to have a family member to bring me the money...I waited about forty five minutes, pacing the floor...But I did get the helmet, but very much could have missed out...Bodes

Wow, that's insane. I never understood why people bid outside of the last few minutes

I totally agree.If I was serious about it, Id bid in the last 4 seconds. Was out of my leauge yesterday.

lol It'll be fun to watch. Grab the popcorn.

As of right now its $1,225.00 Yikes!!!

Whats everyones guess what it'l go for? My Guess-

$7,000.00

Who knows? What its worth and what it will sell for. Its got 9 days to go!!!

Popcorn and beer!