WW2 US Army Medic Bags Riveted Together Period or Postwar?

TCSchultz

I just picked up this pair of US Army World War Two Medic Aid Bags that were riveted together to make a single pair of bags that could be carried with one strap. The inner straps rings were removed so that the bags would fit together neatly which of course kills the value of pulling the rivets out to separate these so I'm hopeful that this was a period or rigger modification and not a post war one done by a surplus dealer or Boy Scout troop. Of course if someone has a picture of these being used this way during the war or has seen this before that would be great but I know that may be a long shot. Anyways here's the pictures and thanks for your hopefully kind comments.

post-17286-0-14532800-1573922442_thumb.jpg

post-17286-0-93486100-1573922462_thumb.jpg

post-17286-0-49123800-1573922479_thumb.jpg

The way that the laces are tied to the back says surplus to me, most bags that saw use didn't use the laces. It’s also a common surplus store modification to take two small bags and try to make one larger bag. So, probably a surplus store mod.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks and you're probably right, I was hoping that perhaps this was a rigger made period solution that some medic came up with but without any documentation showing use during the war so far I'm unable to find any proof that would be the case.