Question on "ARMY REGISTER"

Vincennes

I always assumed that the ARMY REGISTER contained ALL the officers in the Army when the issue was printed. But apparently that is not so. Who is included and who is not?

You can access the ARMY REGISTER many places on the web. I use http://www.ancestrypaths.com/military-records/official-army-register-for-the-united-states/ which has many ARMY REGISTERS from 1813 to 1969.

Here is my problem. I was searching for William Russell Moore. In WWII he was commissioned a Second Lieutenant upon his graduation from the Anti-Aircraft Artillery Officer Candidate School at Camp Davis late in September, 1942. He was a member of the army forces In the Pacific during World War II from 1942 to 1946 and was discharged with the rank of Major after occupation duty in Korea. I have a letter from him dated Dec. 27, 1945 from Korea and his return address is "William R Moore, Capt. CAC; Mil Govt Hq XXIV Corps; Min & Ind; APO 235, c/o Postmaster; San Francisco, Calif." He was later a War Correspondent for AP and was killed covering the Korean War.

But I cannot find him in any of the ARMY REGISTERS covering the years 1942-46. Why is he not in the ARMY REGISTER?

Paul

Regrettably the Registers don't list Reserve Commissioned or National Guard Commissioned Officers for those registries that are available in those years, I suspect Reserve Commissioned or National Guard Commissioned Officers are listed in the Volume 3's of the registers for those years, as Volume 2's are the Retired Lists.

It's only the 1967 (On One Volume) the 1968 and 1969 (On Volume 2) are available for view, no registries are viewable from 1970 on because the Armed Forces now use Social Security Numbers instead of the Serial Numbers, so in the interest of avoiding identity theft these are not available, which is of course a shame if one needs to look up officers from the 70s to current.

The vast majority of Army officers that served in WWII were commissioned in to the Army of the United States (AUS) as reserve component officers and don't appear in the Army Register.

Don't know for sure if this is him but...

http://accident-repo...s/officers.html

ACTIVE DUTY AND RESERVE OFFICERS

OF THE US ARMY AND US AIR FORCE

A searchable list of Officers that has been compiled from War Department Special Orders, Army Registers, Army Directories, West Point Special Orders, West Point Registers, and other documents.

l2.jpg

l1.jpg

Don't know for sure if this is him but...

http://accident-repo...s/officers.html

ACTIVE DUTY AND RESERVE OFFICERS

OF THE US ARMY AND US AIR FORCE

A searchable list of Officers that has been compiled from War Department Special Orders, Army Registers, Army Directories, West Point Special Orders, West Point Registers, and other documents.

This should be pinned in RESEARCH.

Thanks Moderator. I suppose this might be the correct person. The timing is correct and his Fathers name was William L Moore, so he might be a Jr. (if you don't count the middle name) but I have never seen him referred to as so. Anyway, the Accident Report page was a new reference source for me.

Paul