Questionable 17th Airborne

I recently purchased a 17th Airborne officers shirt off ebay knowing that it was likely nameless and probably only worth the sum of its parts, however I figured it was only 30 dollars and it was the last airborne division that I did not have an example of so I decided to go ahead and get it.

I got it today after some wierdness from the seller including the pictures of the shirt seeming to dissapear from ebay and shipping seeming to take longer then it should. The weirdness continued when I opened the package and discovered that the shirt had lost the infantry collar insignia and gained an oval for the 464th Parachute Field Artilery. I am debating returning it because it isn't what I got however, I thought I should check to see first if the oval, patches and 2nd lieutenant bar are real and ww2 vintage, because if they are then the uniform could still be worth more then what I have into it and it wouldn't be worth bothering to return it.

(Note: It may be possible that this is a different uniform from the one originally pictured because the Airborne tab looks like It is different and there are stains in the one I received that are not in the pictures from ebay. It makes no sense to me that someone would add stuff to a uniform AFTER someone has already bought it, but I guess some people could be that crazy.)

post-193671-0-68500000-1573775811.png

post-193671-0-67397900-1573776275.png

donation2019.gif

Interestingly the airborne tab is larger then most I have seen, however looking through other 17th airborne uniforms I have seen it paired with the 17th before so maybe they are an original pair? Any opinions on the parts are welcome.

post-193671-0-87574700-1573776744.png

donation2019.gif

Unfortunatly I do not have a black light at my appartment I left it at home when I went back to school so I might have to get another one just to check this. And I agree the tab is very funky, although maybe not wrong? It looks very similear to the tabs found above these 17th Airborne patches on eBay and topkickmilitaria, so maybe they went together although I am far from certain of that.

This is a pretty weird incedent, but at least some of the people weighing in seem to like it which makes me feel better about it. I am almost tempted to message the seller to see if he had two of the same guys shirts and sent the wrong one. That could solve the mystery of having similear letters in the collar that could be initials, but different stains and patches.

(edit: the pictures I added look terrible on here and I appoligize, they were meant to show other 17th airborne patches with tabs that were thicker and had a yellow dots between the letters and hanging off the bottom of the O.)

post-193671-0-95163600-1573784526.png

post-193671-0-50617900-1573784540.png

donation2019.gif

Why not shoot the seller a message! Worst case maybe he has more info or maybe had two shirts and might let you acquire both if they came together! Most likely he had two shirts and just accidentally sent this one or whoever was packing the order just packed the wrong shirt! Not a terrible shirt for the $30 bucks I would keep it and maybe try to acquire both if the price is right! Defiantly contact the seller!

Please Remember the Following Service Members who have passed on!

Manley S Webb- 1925-2006 US Navy WW2

James W Boutilier - 1921-1983 US Navy Seabees WW2

Russell W Haight - 1876-1953 Spanish American War, Cuban Pacification, Mexican Border War NYNG

Lt Colonel William H Warren 1921-2014 USAF

I don't think that is a WWII vintage 464th FA oval and I am not a fan of the black and gold airborne tab. That being said, I don't see how the seller is making any money selling the shirt for $35.

Allan

Never under-estimate the power of prayer.

donation2007.gif

I don't think that is a WWII vintage 464th FA oval and I am not a fan of the black and gold airborne tab. That being said, I don't see how the seller is making any money selling the shirt for $35.

Allan

Thank you for replying, I just found from the forum that the 782nd had a similear tab in a very confusingly similear color, do you believe that this is really the oval that I have? And out of curiosity what makes you doubt the airborne tab? I appreciate all information I receive because I am trying to educate myself the best I can on airborne material and on that related note is Heroes in Our Midst still recommended? I was about to get it but held off due to unfortunate events.

Honestly the price is what hangs me up also, because if he had wanted to fake a 464th artillery uniform then he likely would have posted a picture of the uniform with the oval to get more bids. I really can't see any motivation or gain to add details and stains to the uniform after it has already sold for so little and the buyer already knows what it looks like.

donation2019.gif

Yes, I think that the oval is that of the 782nd Ordnance, and not a WWII oval. As for the airborne tab, I am not used to seeing these in WWII groupings. They always appear to be later vintage.

Allan

Never under-estimate the power of prayer.

donation2007.gif

Allan H. is correct about the airborne tab. It is NOT WW 2 vintage.

Ok thanks for confirming, I think I will end up returning the shirt since it is clearly not the one pictured and two of the best parts of the uniform are not authentic ww2. Thank you guys for helping me get to the bottom of this weird occurance.

donation2019.gif

• 3 weeks later...

So I returned the shirt, but in hind sight I should have kept it and stripped it for parts. It is back up now after regaining an infantry collar device that goes perfectly with the fake 782nd oval. It also sprouted a pair of jump wings on the oval now.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WWII-17th-AIRBORNE-DIV-2nd-LT-KHAKI-LONG-SLEEVE-SHIRT-W-OVAL-AND-WINGS/193243172195?hash=item2cfe30cd63:g:vDIAAOSwAfhd6XwS

There is no doubt in my mind now that the seller is modifying uniforms. Hopefully this steers some people away from this uniform as well as the almost half-dozen other airborne uniforms the guy is selling that are extremely doubtful at best.

donation2019.gif