Congresswoman Norton introduces bill

cutiger83

Congresswoman Eleanor Norton introduces Bill to memorialize women during World War II.

The following is from the norton.house.gov website:

Today, I introduce the Women Who Worked on the Home Front Memorial Act, which would authorize the establishment of a memorial on federal land in the District of Columbia commemorating the efforts of the 18 million women who kept the Home Front running during World War II. Women are dramatically underrepresented in our memorials.

A 17-year-old constituent, Raya Kenney, the founder of the non-profit Women Who Worked on the Home Front Foundation, came up with the idea to honor women on the home front, whose efforts were so instrumental in maintaining the stability of the country during World War II, have not received much recognition for their contributions, compared to the men who fought bravely in World War II. Th memorial is designed to be interactive and to educate visitors on the important roles women played during World War II.

Very cool idea, women played a crucial roll in the home front efforts during the war. There are too many organizations to name. I always liked the Red Cross and state womens defense corps. Not to mention all the women who took up factory jobs during the war. One of the true under-appreciated subjects in American history, that more people should know.

Very cool idea, women played a crucial roll in the home front efforts during the war. There are too many organizations to name. I always liked the Red Cross and state womens defense corps. Not to mention all the women who took up factory jobs during the war. One of the true under-appreciated subjects in American history, that more people should know.

Thank you so much for your response! There were so many roles women played. There were 10,000 female codebreakers!

My favorite were the WASPS.

Kat

Nothing wrong with this measure, but..... Perhaps we should get the WWI Veterans a monument first? Scott

https://www.worldwar1centennial.org/honor/national-wwi-memorial.html

They broke ground on the World War One Memorial in 2017. It started in 2013 and broke ground in 2017.

It takes several years (as shown in the start and break ground for WWI) to plan and start a memorial so why not start planning this memorial while the great women who served our country are still alive? We are losing the WWII women as fast as we are the men.

...Kat

Thank you so much for your response! There were so many roles women played. There were 10,000 female codebreakers!

My favorite were the WASPS.

Kat

Kat,

Thank you for this post. Long overdue recognition for the women of this country that not only supported the war effort but served! IE: Our WASPS, WACs, WAVEs and SPARs.

Paul

Why do they have to be separate? Can't they just be recognized as WWII veterans? Do we need a Women's Veterans Day like Ohio has passed or does Veterans day suffice to cover all in an equal manner? I mean, that's what the Women wanted right? To be equal? Seems as though everyone wants equality until they realize being equal doesn't make them "special".... As I said, nothing wrong with the idea, and they can and should start it as soon as possible while there are still WWII vets and factory workers around, unlike WWI.I live in "The Arsenal of Democracy" here there are many monuments to war workers. Historically speaking I would agree that Women and minorities were not recognized as they should have been. That said, there is no reason to make such recognition disproportionate to the service rendered. While all contributed what they could, there are real numbers available concerning who did what. The fact that there was segregation in the military or that Women in the workplace was a fairly new thing is relative to the time. Yes we should recognize the deeds of those who served and helped without a doubt. No, we cannot go back and undo what was the norms and mores of the time. To pass "feel good legislation" cheapens the efforts and only serves to divide us further. For example, why did the Congresswomen restrict the bill to WWII. What about the Women who came before and worked the plants in WWI? They paved the way not only for the Rosies, but for the Womens vote as well. So, I will sa

Should read that I stand by my initial statement. Nothing wrong with the bill, lets just get the WWI memorial right. I doubt that congress will be able to do two things at once, have you seen them lately??? :P:P

Why do they have to be separate? Can't they just be recognized as WWII veterans? Do we need a Women's Veterans Day like Ohio has passed or does Veterans day suffice to cover all in an equal manner? I mean, that's what the Women wanted right? To be equal? Seems as though everyone wants equality until they realize being equal doesn't make them "special".... As I said, nothing wrong with the idea, and they can and should start it as soon as possible while there are still WWII vets and factory workers around, unlike WWI.I live in "The Arsenal of Democracy" here there are many monuments to war workers. Historically speaking I would agree that Women and minorities were not recognized as they should have been. That said, there is no reason to make such recognition disproportionate to the service rendered. While all contributed what they could, there are real numbers available concerning who did what. The fact that there was segregation in the military or that Women in the workplace was a fairly new thing is relative to the time. Yes we should recognize the deeds of those who served and helped without a doubt. No, we cannot go back and undo what was the norms and mores of the time. To pass "feel good legislation" cheapens the efforts and only serves to divide us further. For example, why did the Congresswomen restrict the bill to WWII. What about the Women who came before and worked the plants in WWI? They paved the way not only for the Rosies, but for the Womens vote as well. So, I will sa

ScottG,

I couldn't agree more. A Veteran is a Veteran and should be recognized as such collectively. What is next? A monument to Left Handed Veterans? I mean my WWI Grandfather was left handed. The barriers he had to overcome to work the bolt on his rifle were tremendous. Constantly having to reach across the breach to work the bolt was definitely a barrier. The TO&E Manuals at the time were all constructed with Right handed soldiers in mind. Not to mention the ridicule and ruler beatings he endured by the nuns to convert him to using his right hand. Yes! We need a monument to Left Handed Soldiers!

TH1

You are comparing state to national which you cannot do. There are 50 states with 50 opinions.

On a national level, there should be and is only one veteran's day. On a national level there is one WWII memorial, one Korean War memorial, one Vietnam memorial and one WWI memorial currently being built.

This monument to the Women who worked stateside would be a much smaller monument such as the 1000's of monuments all over D.C. depicting everything from the Seabees to the 101st Airborne to the nurses in Vietnam, etc.

This monument will not be on the scale of the WWI monument which as I stated IS being built. Therefore this can most certainly be done in conjunction with other endeavors.

And as I said above, there are monuments to even smaller groups such as Seabees. In my opinion a monument to the Women on the Home front to educate others about the actions on the Home front is JUST as important as every other monument in D.C.

I love anything that promotes WW2.

I used to meet regularly with a group of WW2 nurses for lunch.

One of them was wounded when a Stuka hit her ship.

They lost several friends who were badly burned.

I love anything that promotes WW2.

I used to meet regularly with a group of WW2 nurses for lunch.

One of them was wounded when a Stuka hit her ship.

They lost several friends who were badly burned.

Sounds like an amazing lunch!

And this would be a monument for women who served in lots of ways on the Home front.

One of the nurses was on a glider into Normandy early on.

She wore her nurses flight wings above her ribbon bar and glider wings with a star beneath.

A monument for the home front that recognizes everyone been built yet?

Or one that recognizes anyone else on the home front?

Rosie the Riveter is on stickers plastered on cars everywhere.

It’s all very interesting.

One of the nurses was on a glider into Normandy early on.

She wore her nurses flight wings above her ribbon bar and glider wings with a star beneath.

A monument for the home front that recognizes everyone been built yet?

Or one that recognizes anyone else on the home front?

Rosie the Riveter is on stickers plastered on cars everywhere.

Its all very interesting.

Wow! She was on a glider! There were not a lot of nurses who did that. I would have !loved to talk to her!I

This is a proposal to build a monument to recognize the Women who served on The Home front. They did all sorts of things during the war.

Kat