M1905 Bayonet

husk

Just picked up a very nice Springfield 1905 Bayonet dated 1920. Which scabbard would be most appropriately for the date, 1920. Modified leather scabbard or fabric? TIA , Husk

I would venture to say that the Model 1910 (canvas as pictured above) would be the most correct. But, keep in mind that the modified leather M1905 scabbards were used into WW2. Theoretically, any of the scabbards could be correct, depending upon what a unit had available. SKIP

• 1 month later...

Mikedon- Lovely 1922 stamped M1905 bayonet. According to my figures, only about 300 of these survived WW2. Of these, few are in the mint condition of this one!

That 1922 is amazing, but as to husk's question which scabbard to use with his 1920 dated 1905, I'll answer this way. The original question was, which scabbard would be appropriate? In 1920, any of the available scabbards might have been used, i.e. a leather scabbard which had been modified, (you would probably rule out the 1905 scabbard with the Krag belt hanger, either Type I or Type II). The leather scabbards were modified and being modified from about 1915 all the way to the 1920s, so any modified leather 1905 scabbard would be "correct".

As for the canvas scabbards, there were several minor variations made to them as the years went on, so any of the canvas scabbards would be appropriate. In 1941, a "new" canvas scabbard was made by Boyt, and is marked in ink with the name and a "41" under the name. Even that one would be appropriate if you want to represent a "bayonet in waiting" for WWII.

If you really want to get crazy, try to find a modified leather scabbard that has a 1920 date on it. That would really be the cat's meow.

Merry Christmas!

Marv