ww1 wings opinions

blind pew

Thanks!!!

Here's something to consider and I speak as some-one as a WW1 collector and not specifically a wing collector. I have also collected and dealt with a lot of southwestern silver (Navajo, Mexican) as well as antique western Americana, cowboy spurs and bits. First off I like the patination from what i see. It looks like natural 100 year old silver oxidation and not a quick chemically induced reaction. The styling though could be considered crude is highly stylized to a particular part of the US. It reminds of the often patriotic silver inlay and decoration you will see produced in the West for adornment on cowboy spurs, horse bits, saddles etc. Particularly Colorado (Canon City Penitentiary), Nevada (G.S. Garcia) , Texas. If you google "G.S. Garcia Eagle" you can see they type of silver workmanship of which I am referring specifically the style as well as the edge cut out of the wings. I am would say these were not made by a jeweler per say but rather a south western based silver smith and engraver possibly even Mexican which would coincide with the style of the pin on the back. Possibly made for an Aviator stationed near the border ie Kelly Field Texas. I had some American patriotic silver work that belonged to WW1 Army private that worked as an airplane mechanic at Kelly Field in 1918 that he must of picked up in Mexico or on the border. It was made by a Mexican silver smith and bore his hallmark. G. S Garcia a very well known western spur maker that often utilized American Eagles in his work was himself originally from Mexico. Just a thought and take it from some-one who is by no means an expert on WW1 wings. I have only owned two that I found in estates. In 30 years I have only found two in the woodwork.

rathbonemuseum.com

Can I just applaud everyone on this thread for one of the most academically and professionally detailed and sound reviews of what goes into making one of these hand-made wings 100 years ago? I for one have learned a ton. Thanks especially to Chris and Patrick for taking us to school.

Indeed- these guys are GREAT and very kind to provide their time and detailed explanations.

Very cool indeed!

I am still thinking about buying it, just to see them in hand, as they are about $800, so it would not be a tragedy to be stuck with them. I never sell my US militaria stuff, so resale is not an issue. I understand all the caveats and red flags that have been pointed out by the experienced collectors here and have found this to be a great learning experience.

Most of my collection is WW1 and WW2 german stuff, which I know very well; I agree that resale on an "odd duck" is poor, at best. When you buy high quality stuff, you can always sell/trade it. Buying "non standard" or poor condition items make resale tough. However, for Pour Le Merites, essentially ALL of them that I have owned, or currently own, that were actually worn awards ALL have enamel damage. Many collectors will shun such pieces and prefer perfect specimens that have never been worn. I prefer to know who was the recipient and an award that has signs of actual wear.

Can I just applaud everyone on this thread for one of the most academically and professionally detailed and sound reviews of what goes into making one of these hand-made wings 100 years ago? I for one have learned a ton. Thanks especially to Chris and Patrick for taking us to school.