Inland M-1c liner, any issues with this?

P-59A

I wonder what it ended up going for. Looks like the seller had a reserve even with the starting bid of $2500 so I have to imagine it went for a decent bit more than that.

The seller posted the item on a Facebook group and asked for comments on its value. I genuinely didnt know at the time the liners value. I messaged him and said once value was established, i would like to make an offer. He told me to make an offer right then so i did. He accepted it and the money was paid. Thats when i saw the post here a few hours later. He messaged me and told me his friend who was commenting here was upset that he sold me the liner because he wanted it, made the same offer i did, but didnt have the money to pay for it. He asked that i post that the money was refunded so that his friend would leave him alone about it. I noticed at that time the value of the liner based on the posts on here and messaged him giving him the value and that he could refund me my money so that he could sell it for more. I dont collect helmets to make money off of either parties ignorance of price. He told me he was happy to keep our original deal if i sent him $150 more. I asked him if he was completely sure based on the helmets value. He agreed and the extra money was sent. He told me the helmet would be going out this morning. I woke up to an eBay listing of the liner and no refund. I had to confront him to get my money back. The guy is playing games and i hope whoever he made a deal with actually receives their liner. I have PayPal receipts and transcripts of the whole conversation for proof of all claims here incase anyone wanted to see that.

-Nick

Well, I've got a confession to make. I saw the liner among eBay's newly-listed items this morning around 6:00 (CST). It was listed at auction with a starting price of $2500. I had no idea of this thread's existence or the liner's previous sale to two other individuals when I sent the seller an offer of $2200 (no bids had been placed, I was the only watcher). The seller accepted and I sent payment. As of right now, the liner is supposedly on its way to me, but who knows if the seller will decide to offer it to someone else for more money.

"Munching popcorn" in enraptured anticipation. I love the helmet forum :), the civil war, Indian War and Spanish American War forums are just are too quiet, alas........

Would someone please explain what makes this liner worth $2200.00 ?

To novice collectors like me, its a complete mystery why this item is so expensive ?

???

Would someone please explain what makes this liner worth $2200.00 ?

To novice collectors like me, its a complete mystery why this item is so expensive ?

???

It's a factory made Inland paratrooper liner. Factory made paratrooper liners are all sought after and expensive if in good condition, however the Inland liners are more sought after when compared to the other high pressure para liners. Inland didn't make as many liners as other high pressure liner manufacturers during the war as they switched production in 1943 to focus on manufacturing weapons. In particular they ended up manufacturing M1A1 paratrooper carbines.

I think the limited quantity combined with the other manufacturing connections to paratroopers makes them very desirable for some collectors. This one in particular is in very nice condition.

Other manufacturers of paratrooper liners that I can recall are Westinghouse, St. Clair, and Hawley.

Westinghouse airborne liners typically go for less than an Inland liner and a legitimate Hawley para liner in similar condition to the Inland liner in this thread would go for a significant amount more. I'm not certain on the St. Clair liners but I would assume those go for a pretty penny as well.

Personally, I don't think I could justify owning an Inland para liner unless I found one in the wild for cheap, but I'm not a hardcore airborne collector.

Persian Gulf Command

Additionally, for Operation Torch, Overlord, Market Garden the Airborne Helmet liner with factory applied "A-Yokes" is a must. There are plenty of discussions regarding D-Bail or Fixed Bail Helmet Shells being used. Both are appropriate. However, an Inland Airborne Liner is necessary to have an authentic representation for these WW2 Paratrooper operations. The Hawley and St. Clair Airborne Liners are very rare and the Westinghouse Airborne Liner was not used until very late 1944 or early 1945.

• 2 weeks later...

Additionally, for  Operation Torch, Overlord, Market Garden the  Airborne Helmet liner with factory applied "A-Yokes" is a must.  There are plenty of discussions regarding D-Bail or Fixed Bail Helmet Shells being used.  Both are appropriate.  However, an Inland Airborne Liner is necessary to have an authentic representation for these WW2 Paratrooper operations.  The Hawley and St. Clair Airborne Liners are very rare and the Westinghouse Airborne Liner was not used until very late 1944 or early 1945. 

Addition: During the Holland campaign (Market-Garden) early Westinghouse airborne liners were wide used. Many period photos show use of this type of airborne liner. There were also several local pick ups from the battle fields.

Regards, Raymon

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk