a sight for sore eyes

Costa

mccauslandpara1944

That is a good looking lid. I would love to see it in hand, especially since the starting bid is $1750.00, it's hard to know the top dollar a collector is willing to pay.

Costa, so what is the story on this one....? Any...? At first glance I drool but then my age and experience says step away after 5 seconds...! Too good to be true.... Just like I do when I run across a Rattlesnake here in Northern California during the summer..... Back away, slowly.......... And stay alive to hike another day, hike over, go the other way...... Regards, Chris

mccauslandpara1944

cant pin this on me---------- never had a AAAO lid.

costa, do you have concerns with this helmet? I think the helmet looks good, but I would not buy it without being able to examine it either first or if there is a return period. I am always skeptical of helmets with insignia.

Yep, Keith, time for you to spill the beans. What do ya know of this one? "Sight for sore eyes"

-Peg6

Peg6 i think you have your Costas mixed up, this one is Mitch

the more cryptic collectors are about items of interest, the higher the likelihood of authenticity in my mind. still cant be for certain. somone here knows about this one

I don't like the way the AAAO looks. paint doesn't look that old. mind you im not a pro but, the rust in the AAAO looks aged.

costa, do you have concerns with this helmet? I think the helmet looks good, but I would not buy it without being able to examine it either first or if there is a return period. I am always skeptical of helmets with insignia.

Another thing .........According to past posts on the forum here, these symbols were originally applied using stencils. This one looks hand painted.

I don't like the way the AAAO looks. paint doesn't look that old. mind you im not a pro but, the rust in the AAAO looks aged.

At first when I looked at this one I thought it was OK but when I took a second look at it a day or two later the rust was what stood out to me. Almost looks applied to me.

Paint looks aged to me, if you look at the white paint the brown oxidation or dirt doesnt extend past the white paint at all. Paint age and wear just doesnt match for me

Burning Hazard

Hard to say for this one. You can see signs of micro-cracking, something that I haven't seen on fakes yet unless there is some new technique being used.

Really, the only way to confirm this helmet is to take a loupe and see if the rusting is coming from underneath the paint and not on top.

Pat

post-8715-0-58796800-1573929003_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

If this isn't relevant, mods can delete. I saw this Christmas card on eBay and didn't know how best to connect it to the marking on the helmet in question.

I'm assuming this card dates from Dec 1945. Further evidence of the " AAAO " in use.

post-122639-0-76794700-1575316288.jpg