USN Jumper with connection to Bikini Atoll testing

Lancer-86

Hello Gentlemen,

I found this today at a flea market. Normal run of the mill dress jumper with a little surprise. Liberty cuffs! But not just any liberty cuffs Bikini liberty cuffs with a depiction of an explosion. Has anyone seen these before?post-140032-0-58610200-1573509141_thumb.jpeg

PacificGunner

I have seen several sets of these cuffs before but they were never attached to a uniform. I have been looking for the Bikini cuffs for my own collection but have not found any for sale yet. Very nice find thanks for sharing

Really nice, I only see about 2 or 3 of these a year (on jumpers), so not very common to encounter. To put that into perspective, on average I find USN D-Day vets uniforms monthly, and sometimes several a week.

Very tough to find one of these on a jumper in comparison to a lot of things.

Thank you guys for the information! I dont really collect post war uniforms. I think Id rather have a D-Day uniform haha. But I do enjoy the history behind this one.

My uncle, Clarence M. Davis, was a boatswain mate third class during WW2 and I remember him telling me that before he could get out of the Navy his last assignment was aboard the WW2 German cruiser Prinz Eugen. He told me that they needed to sail the Prinz Eugen to Bikini Atoll for the atomic bomb test but needed members of the original German crew to get it there. Like everyone else my uncle was exposed to the radiation during the test but never got cancer and died of natural causes at the age of 70.

Interesting jumper. The cuff is new to me, so thanks for posting it. By sheer coincidence I picked up an Operation Crossroads Bikini Bomb Test artifact a few weeks ago myself. I spotted this book at the used bookstore with USS LCI (L) 615 stamped all over it. I looked it up and 615 was a target ship for the first bomb test. She survived just fine and was returned to the fleet. No idea if the book was onboard during the test or not. Too bad it doesn't glow in the dark, I could read it at night.

post-2687-0-10749100-1573686116_thumb.jpg

Mikie

My uncle was an atomic veteran of Bikini- he served in Operation Hardtack I -that's a cool jumper- Nice find. I only have his certificate of participation and some photos from his time in the service..