Midway Reviews

james127

I saw the movie yesterday. I really loved it. While some people prefer to see the fighters, I loved it that they mainly focused on the dive bombers. The Dauntless has always been one of my favorite planes.

Any movie that makes me want to cheer and makes me want to research more is a great one in my book!

Who was the guy that jumped in the back of the Dauntless and helped shoot down the Japanese bomber diving towards the Yorktown? Was he a real person?

Kat

I do believe that was an actual event. The detailed analysis of the trailer posted a while back made it seem like it happened. I was either cooking or doing dishes at the time so I was mildly distracted.

I saw the movie yesterday. I really loved it. While some people prefer to see the fighters, I loved it that they mainly focused on the dive bombers. The Dauntless has always been one of my favorite planes.

Any movie that makes me want to cheer and makes me want to research more is a great one in my book!

Who was the guy that jumped in the back of the Dauntless and helped shoot down the Japanese bomber diving towards the Yorktown? Was he a real person?

Kat

Kat

Aviation Machinist Mate Third Class (AMM3/C) Bruno Gaido was a real person, who flew with Scouting Squadron Six (VS-6) aboard USS Enterprise. The depiction of his heroics in the movie are fact-based. You can find more details of the incident here: https://usnhistory.navylive.dodlive.mil/2017/04/24/toughness-aviation-machinist-mate-first-class-amm1c-bruno-peter-gaido/

I like the dauntless very much (I just purchased an original SBD pilot's manual for my collection) and don't necessarily like fighters more.... just that the film left them out completely.

I like the dauntless very much (I just purchased an original SBD pilot's manual for my collection) and don't necessarily like fighters more.... just that the film left them out completely.

When I was on the set the SBD mock up was in use, but I heard that there was a Wildcat a few days before.

My guess is that they were not left out of filming or the story originally, but with so much historical ground covered in the film, the F4F’s may have ended up on the cutting room floor (to use an old term).

John

When I was on the set the SBD mock up was in use, but I heard that there was a Wildcat a few days before.

My guess is that they were not left out of filming or the story originally, but with so much historical ground covered in the film, the F4F’s may have ended up on the cutting room floor (to use an old term).

John

When it comes out on Blueray maybe the "director's cut" will have them added back in!

Aviation Machinist Mate Third Class (AMM3/C) Bruno Gaido was a real person, who flew with Scouting Squadron Six (VS-6) aboard USS Enterprise. The depiction of his heroics in the movie are fact-based.

Thanks a bunch for the info!

Kat

You are very welcome. I believe the two photos included in that article, although not captioned as such, actually show the SBD Gaido was sitting in when firing at the bomber. The plane handlers are in the process of pushing the tailless craft over the side.

You are very welcome. I believe the two photos included in that article, although not captioned as such, actually show the SBD Gaido was sitting in when firing at the bomber. The plane handlers are in the process of pushing the tailless craft over the side.

I saw that on the link! Great link you posted!

...Kat

There is something to keep in mind with this version of Midway. It wouldnt have happened without money from China.

Makes me wonder if they had to alter it in some way to get the chi coms money? They are known to require certain edits etc. Like the appolo 11 film where the flag wasnt shown being planted on the moon, due to chinas financial involvement in that film.

Like the appolo 11 film where the flag wasnt shown being planted on the moon, due to chinas financial involvement in that film.

That isn't correct. I know some people who worked on "First Man," and they simply didn't have the time to include everything that happened on the landing, and planting the flag wasn't very dramatic, so it didn't get put in.

Several people think there was something more sinister, but it was just that simple.

Overall, it was a well done film. I was out in Honolulu last month when it premiered there. That was my first visit to Hawaii and I really enjoyed visiting Pearl Harbor. We actually went to the USS Arizona memorial twice. Also did the below decks tour on the USS Missouri. My wife and I were the only 2 on that tour and we were treated to a nearly 3 hour tour. It was amazing and highly recommended if you get the chance.

One small detail I noticed in the film that was incorrect was the admirals flag in Adm Starks office. It was a 4star Air Force general flag ( 4 stars in a horizontal line, not in the diamond pattern? Yes, Im a flag guy.

Regarding the use of M1 helmets. The USN certainly had M1 helmets well before Midway, we just do not see many of them because A. the earlier engagements were fought with older vessels that had already been equipped with stocks of M1917 and M1917A1 helmets, and B. other than the Coral Sea battle (and early operations in the Aleutians), there wasn't much opportunity for photographers to cover engagements late enough (much of the pre-Coral Sea naval action took place from January to March, with heavy losses) to see M1 helmets in advanced areas. The ships that were engaged in that pre-Coral Sea combat tended to have been last outfitted in the Philippines just prior to the outbreak of war, so until the surviving vessels made for Australia or Hawaii, their supplies were in essence frozen in time and reflected a late summer 1941 outfit.

The USN had M1 helmets at least as early as January-February 1942. Issuance to vessels gets complicated for a number of factors, including that vessels saw an increase in crew compliment and augmented armament after the US entered the war. As a result you will often see M1917A1 helmets being worn alongside M1 helmets through summer (into the fall) of 1942. Again it tended to depend on where the vessel had last been outfitted, and importantly, when. Some older vessels that had already been in an advanced zone would have more M1917A1 helmets aboard than M1, while a ship just outfitted at a major stateside Navy Yard might have more or exclusively M1 helmets depending upon local availability.

If you want proof of a date, the AA crew of the USS Pennsylvania (BB-38) was wearing a mix of M1917A1 and M1 helmets side by side on March 2, 1942 at Mare Island Navy Yard.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally saw the movie tonight. As has been said above, don't let some minor mistakes with insignia etc spoil it for you. But one, I do have to mention. The scene where Nimitz orders Halsey ("this is a direct order..") to report to the hospital. Nimitz is wearing his whites, and the first ribbon is the CMH. At first I thought he would not have been awarded it that early, and then when I got home and hit the computer, I find no record at all of Nimitz receiving the CMH.

Steve

CNY Militaria

I finally saw the movie tonight. As has been said above, don't let some minor mistakes with insignia etc spoil it for you. But one, I do have to mention. The scene where Nimitz orders Halsey ("this is a direct order..") to report to the hospital. Nimitz is wearing his whites, and the first ribbon is the CMH. At first I thought he would not have been awarded it that early, and then when I got home and hit the computer, I find no record at all of Nimitz receiving the CMH.

Steve

That was his Silver Lifesaving Medal.

That was his Silver Lifesaving Medal.

Ah, thanks for that, CNY Militaria. I wondered if it might be something other than the CMH, but couldn't place it other than a Byrd Medal, but that would have been too early for Nimitz.. I'm glad you cleared that up.

Steve

As a wing collector, I was disappointed that not one actor (at least as far as I saw) was wearing pre war Aviator wings, which they all should have been wearing.

All I saw were wings with berries.

Frankly, I was expecting this error, so I’m not overly disappointed and being involved with the Raider portion of the film I wanted to stay in my lane.

I definitely don’t let it take from my overall appreciation of the film though.

John