Help on DUI ID Please

trenchbuff

I can't find any history of the 88th Inf Bn, which is funny. Division and Regiment, yes . . . but they aren't this.

My assumption is that this insignia was worn by the Philippine Army. Being US made, I would assume that it is worn by either the Philippine Division or the Philippine Scouts. The sea monster is a common symbol of the Philippines. Maybe Frisco Hare can provide some info.

Allan

My assumption is that this insignia was worn by the Philippine Army. Being US made, I would assume that it is worn by either the Philippine Division or the Philippine Scouts. The sea monster is a common symbol of the Philippines. Maybe Frisco Hare can provide some info.

Allan

That was my thoughts too Allan since the sea monster is similar to Philippine Department ssi. Thanks!

88th Inf Bn (Heavy Mortar). Sample authorized 9 Apr 54 appr 15 Nov 54 D2

88B1 ASMIC Inf DIs catalog Vol 2

unit inactivated 28 Mar 55

the Bn was successor to 461st Inf Bn (HM) Trading Post JM 2001

cloth insignia attached

post-622-0-16137400-1573328674.jpg

88th Inf Bn (Heavy Mortar). Sample authorized 9 Apr 54 appr 15 Nov 54 D2

88B1 ASMIC Inf DIs catalog Vol 2

unit inactivated 28 Mar 55

the Bn was successor to 461st Inf Bn (HM) Trading Post JM 2001

cloth insignia attached

Thanks! No an easy unit to find info on.

This unit was formed to incorporate in part, the 4.2 Heavy Mortar, prior to this, particularly in WWII, these weapons where under the

command of the Chemical Warfare Service (Redesigned Chemical Corps in 1946) and were operated by the Chemical Mortar Battalions

After the disbanding of the Chemical Mortar Battalions in October 1952 by the Army, the Infantry were already assigned these weapons, they remained in the Infantry at least when I was in in the early 80s, here they were assigned to the Combat Support Company of Infantry Battalions, were they formed a Platoon, I believe this started when the ROAD concept were first implemented in 62-63, prior to this these Four Deuces were in the heavy weapons companies of a Regiment and the later Battle Groups. The one in Korea was the 2nd Chemical Mortar Battalion, it seen alot of Combat, having the hard luck of being attached to the 8th Cavalry at Unsan in October and later in December to the 9th Infantry at Kunu-Ri, both fatal battles, in both cases the 2nd Chem Mortar Bn suffering very heavy losses along with the units they were attached to.

2nd Chem Mortar Battalion while being disbanded was actually redesignated as the 461st Infantry Battalion (Heavy Mortar) the date being January 1953, note the absence of any reference to Chemical, that October 1952 date may have been the date to disestablish these type of units, and not reactivate any of them again. The only unit I found so far in operation in the whole Army during this period was the 2nd Chem Mortar Battalion, were there Separate Chemical Mortar Companies somewhere in the Army? As mentioned the Heavy Mortar Companies were a Regimental level company during the Korean War and after till around 1957, not sure when they started to receive the 4.2 mortar, late 1940s? just before the Korean War began in early 1950?

The 2nd Chemical Mortar Battalion was disbanded as a result of Soviet accusations at the UN given by one Jakob Malick, the Soviet delegate to the UN, who accused the U.S. of using chemical warfare.

The 88th Inf Bn (Hvy Mort) this unit was formed from the 461st Inf Bn (Hvy Mort) don't know the date, but seems to have served for awhile in South Korea after the Armistice. It also would appear that this DI for the 88th Inf Bn (Hvy Mort) is a completely authorized DI seeing that that LOT of DIs on Ebay posted by Elizabeth all bear the U.S. maker Dondero D2 Hallmarks, D2 being the 1954 Hallmark Code for Dondero.

The 88th designator and the Philippines Monster on the DI for the unit? I would wager the 88th Infantry Battalion (Heavy Mortar) was given the lineage of the old 88th Chemical Mortar Battalion which served in the Pacific to include Leyte.